• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA.32 squirell Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,
What size is the ram rod that comes in the .32 kits? is it 1/4" or 5/16" ? Seem like the 1/4" is a little fragile and the 5/16" might be a little tight. Thanks for the info.

I'm making one right now, didn't like the looks of the black nylon one except for a range rod maybe. Took a 5/16" and shaved it down. Bill

The ramrod that came with mine is .275" , and is made of aluminum . I use a 5/16" dowel for a range rod . I searched through all the 5/16 dowels , in the bin at my local home warehouse type store , and found only ONE that had the grain running straight through from end to end . A rare jewell indeed :winking: . Happy hunting :grin: . I cut the dowel down to 32" and made a short starter out of what was left .

I got the squirrel rifle kit today. I hand fit each piece and was supprised that the factory did such a good job of inletting the stock. It looks as if I will have to do minimal parts inletting on the trigger plate and trigger guard. They also left plenty of wood for shapping. I like this so that I can shape the wood the way I want and not settle for the way they want it. Over all I am very happy with this purchase. I will start putting it together after hunting season this year. Thanks for all of the help guys. I will post pictures of the completed project when done.
Robert

Bill,

Good on you for your work on that rifle. Are you using AquaFortis from a vendor? (I understand that Mike Lea sells it now.) Or did you make some up yourself?

Not to bash an accurate gun, but I would suggest that anyone with one of these guns buy a mainspring , tumbler and an assortment of screws. Most of my experience with these guns involved replacing these parts as the metal was not properly heat treated and wore out without much use. This may have been earlier production, but I would take precautions.

After looking at these pics, I might need to take my own advice and order one with replacement parts...

CS

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
"Not sure, but it looks like an old CVA Mountain rifle rear sight."
Bingo give that man a Cigar. I also changed the front sight.
Got it from Track. Don't think I had to do much.
Will let you know how the A/F works on the Euro mystery hardwood. Bill

I got my CVA Mountain rifle back in the 80's as a kit from Dixie. (My first ML) Looks like the sights have changed a little. Is your sight older or newer then mine? (got to say I like mine better LOL)

cva-1001983.gif

Finally got some finish on it, the A/f made with Ferric Nitrate crystals worked great.
DSCF0266.jpg

DSCF0264.jpg

DSCF0268.jpg

DSCF0267.jpg

I did two coats, followed by heat, then four coats of Boiled linseed oil. Got the rough old finish I was after.
Bill

Latest posts

Back