• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom Hawken Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild_willie_10

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 54 cal. Hawken style rifle. The attached tag had that the rifle was made by Frank Baker of Hot Springs Arkansas and is of the Gemmer style. Has anyone heard of Mr. Baker and was constitutes a Gemmer style Hawken rifle? The rifle is in excellent condition and probably worth more than the $300 I paid for it. Unfortunently, I don't have a camera for pictures at this time. Thanks for any and all help.

Ziggy

Gemmer rifles usually have a nose cap that fits over the whole end of the stock without the use of the rear rampipe or entry thimble. Another thing is he liked to use the rampsights and late buttplates and triggerguards sometimes with the finger spur off of the bow. Gemmers' Hawkens are REAL late 19thc. guns.
Sorry I don't know the maker of yours.

Adding to Cooner's you can get some "good enough to work" pics from a throw away camera, just have the cd made when you get the pics and get out for under 10 bucks Fred :hatsoff:

Good Afternoon Ziggy,

See if you can find a telephone number for Tom Gillman of Hot Springs, Arkansas. He is a world class gunsmith and might know of Frank Baker.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Back