• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

curious, powder horn or speed loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry my horn around my neck, am considering making a loading block.
Your story reminds me of a similar situation where I missed a forky(reason unknown), and while I reloaded, a spike ran right out in front of me. I shot him right in front of his ear.

I carry my test tubes loaded with pre-measured powder charges, my loading block with 3 patched pre-lubricated .490 round balls and an inline capper around my neck, not for speed but for convenience. I agree that the chances of getting a second shot at a deer, with a muzzleloader, are remote and I have never done so. When I hunt, I do not pretend that I live in the 18th century, I wear camoflage, and orange when required to do so, by law, sometimes I wear moccasins and sometimes I wear a face mask or a see through hood and I will always have a small pair of binoculars with me. I have enough center fire guns to arm a small country but they mainly gather dust. I hunt with a muzzleloader because of the challenge and because it makes me a better hunter. 100 yards is a long shot, to me. Even while using modern guns, 99% of my deer were within 100 yards and most were much closer. A muzzleloader is not at a disadvantage at those ranges.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry paper cartridges of powder. And a loading block with balls and patches. I keep one hole empty in the block, and keep the short starter there. It all fits nicely in my coat pocket, and is silent. I use a tree stand mostly so anything that can bump or clunk isn't so good. BJH

Back