• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crow Shoot.........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
So I drive to where I'm going to shoot crows this morning, pull out the telescopic pole & Owl decoy...get that set up...grab the 6 crow decoys and spread them out...reach in and grab the tape recorder, then reach in for the 50’ cable & speaker.............

Get a "pet" crow and rid yourself of all the modern paraphenalia. Keep your "traitorous" crow hungry and he'll squawk his brethren within range. By the way.......do you eat the crows or just let them lie?......Fred

flehto said:
"...Get a "pet" crow and rid yourself of all the modern paraphenalia. Keep your "traitorous" crow hungry and he'll squawk his brethren within range..."
I'm not even sure that's legal Fred...besides, I enjoy being married to my Wife of 40 years...not sure how keeping a live crow at the house would go over.
:grin:

What made matters even worse this morning, I then thought about just calling them in with my regular crow call, but didn't even have that with me...realized it was back at the house still mixed in with my Turkey hunting stuff from April!!
:shake:

Here's a tip that might have saved the day if they were close enough to hear you: Meow like a cat. Around here it draws them in close and fast. They're really looking for a fight too, so they even stick around a bit.

BrownBear said:
Here's a tip that might have saved the day if they were close enough to hear you: Meow like a cat. Around here it draws them in close and fast. They're really looking for a fight too, so they even stick around a bit.
:hmm: :hmm:...you sure they're not just trailing the grizzly that's sneakin' up behind that cat? :grin:

I can just hear it now if somebody saw me:

"...I don't know what to think Mable, he comes here every weekend, hides his truck over there, walks into those bushes down there all covered up with camo...carrying an old relic he must have found in his grandfathers attic, sits down out of sight and starts meowing like a cat...darndest thing I've ever seen..."
:rotf:

I love to hunt crows. I use a FOXPRO caller and heavy cammo + a spread of decoys including an owl. I call them right in on top of me - no remote caller or wires needed. It's a "hoot" - no punn intended.

I invested in a Johnny Stewart caller, speaker, and 50 foot cable so I can place the speaker away from me for use when calling coyotes/foxes.

This is the first time in probably 25-30 trips over the years I've forgotten the speaker as it's up on a shelf, while the caller sits down on the floor in a corner near a socket for recharging.

But I've fixed that now...put the caller, media, speaker, and cable into a small camo duffle bag that sits on the floor where I recharge it...no more forgetting components.
(next trip I'll probably forget the whole duffle bag :grin:)

Always bring a hand call (mouth blown) with you.They work great by themselves, if needed, and really add to the effectiveness of your setup when used in conjunction with an electronic caller.

Oh I always do...except this time...I had left it back at the house still in with all my Turkey hunting stuff
:rotf:

Good procedure! I have found it very comforting to not call the coyottes into the "hide" as it tends to startle me out of my shoes when one sneaks up and touches the back of my neck with a cold nose :haha: . Actually that has never happened to me, but a former hunting partner came close to this while hunting coyotte in Tiago County. He told me about it and I took it to heart.

...reach in and grab the tape recorder, then reach in for the 50’ cable & speaker.............

Hey! This is a traditional forum. You should at least have a hand-crank Victrola with 78 LP.

. . . carrying an old relic he must have found in his grandfathers attic . . .

There. That's better. :wink:

Stumpkiller said:
"...You should at least have a hand-crank Victrola with 78 LP..."
:grin: and I actually remember a working model of one of those in my grandmother's house when I was a small boy...actually used it...amazing those things worked as well as they did

The cold nose thing isn't really funny! A few years back a story was run about a caller that had that happen. He took two rookies out and set them up in different hides. He backed off and started calling from a third spot. When his friends heard the commotion and came running, it was already too late. They found his rifle jammed halfway thru the stump he had been leaning against. It took over 24 hours to track down and eliminate the bear that had his body before they could recover his remains. Sometimes is isn't a bobcat or a yote looking for dinner that gets a good scare from the hunter!

Kind of like in turkey season when hunters make sonds like turkeys and other hunters shoot at the sound. Makes the old saying "Be careful what you wish for." take on a whole new meaning. The gentleman I was referring to that had the close encounter of the worst kind with the "yotes" now carries a .44 mag when hunting from a hide and calling. He told me that he keeps it within hands grasp. It makes sense that when a person is calling and making sound like a wounded small animal that all sorts of predators (yotes, bobcat, bear, skunks and whatever) are going to interested in a dinner.

Back