• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Critical shot placement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
One of the things I find so intriguing/ adicting about muzzleloader shooting is how critical each shot is. With unmentionables when you miss its its easy to rip off rappid fire makeup shots. With the muzzel loader when you miss its a done deal. I find this especially obvious when shooting steel. Typically at unmentionable matches you had 5 steel targets and at least 8 or 9 rounds in your pistol so that was 3 to 4 makeup shots. with the muzzel loader its one or nothing. Biathlon really is a perfectionists game. You only have 9 chances to make a hit and there are no make up shots. and every miss costs you 5 min penalty. Even if its just practice a miss is so blatantly obvious with the muzzel loader. It truely becomes a zen experience when everything works correctly and hit all 9.

One of the things I find so intriguing/ adicting about muzzleloader shooting is how critical each shot is. With unmentionables when you miss its its easy to rip off rappid fire makeup shots. With the muzzel loader when you miss its a done deal. I find this especially obvious when shooting steel. Typically at unmentionable matches you had 5 steel targets and at least 8 or 9 rounds in your pistol so that was 3 to 4 makeup shots. with the muzzel loader its one or nothing. Biathlon really is a perfectionists game. You only have 9 chances to make a hit and there are no make up shots. and every miss costs you 5 min penalty. Even if its just practice a miss is so blatantly obvious with the muzzel loader. It truely becomes a zen experience when everything works correctly and hit all 9.
Nobody can miss fast enough to win a gunfight…

Yeah, same is true of steel gong shooting a miss remains a miss and you move on to the next target or if you shoot one out of order it also counts as a miss. So even if shot with unmentionables it may as well be a muzzle loader or even a bow and arrow as far as scoring is concerned.
I still have never been convinced the Indian with his fast reloading bow and arrow was ever at any disadvantage over a man with a single shot, slow reloading muzzle loading gun, when under 30 yards engagement distances are in play.

Last edited:
Most of the steel matches I have shot you could keep shooting until you knocked them all down but the clock is running.

Always preferred the slower precision of NMLRA / NRA BP pistol shooting matches. As I am older and slower now more than ever. We have shooters over 75 winning at the highest levels. Even one with Parkinson's, but he has to get his shots off in under three seconds before the shaking starts. He out shoots everybody every year in at least one target to take a gold in High Master. He is amazing to watch and my favorite NMLRA past President...

shooting paper puts me in a comma and I can not get on board with taking 3 min to make one shot. you say you can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight but with a 1911 I can make shots up so fast that it's still darn hard to beat. saying that all guns should be treated as single shot is nice but in reality those plastic rigs are still dangerous as heck even if they have a few misses. For me thats what makes Biathlon so special is that you can not miss but you are also on the clock. You have to find that ballance between speed and perfect accuracy. I do not consider 30 min for 10 shots to be on the clock. Those paper matches I am usually done in half the time and wandering around watching everyone else shoot.

I still have never been convinced the Indian with his fast reloading bow and arrow was ever at any disadvantage over a man with a single shot, slow reloading muzzle loading gun, when under 30 yards engagement distances are in play.

I have to disagree. The skill to shoot a bow even at 30 yards takes time, its why ML came to the fore. You could train people to shoot a ML in a short time and a bow took years (and the penetration is not what it is cracked up to be)

A cross bow worked but was woefully slow compared to a ML.

Indians were shooting bows as soon as they could walk. I've also read where their sinew backed flat bows would penetrate chain mail worn by the Spaniards. The flash and report from BP rifles also kinda spooked them in the early engagements.

I have to disagree. The skill to shoot a bow even at 30 yards takes time, its why ML came to the fore. You could train people to shoot a ML in a short time and a bow took years (and the penetration is not what it is cracked up to be)

A cross bow worked but was woefully slow compared to a ML.
The plains Indians living off American Bison routinely drove their stone and bone pointed arrows completely down through the thorax and into the heart in the lower chest from horse back. I'd say that was plenty of penetration.

Back