• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cracker Barrel Find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at the Cracker Barrel in Lexington, KY and
this muzzleloader above the fireplace caught my eye. It was at least .50cal and the under rib was
wood--no markings I could see. I associate this
type rifle and cal with what would have been used in the Great Plains and Mouintain West. this is one I would like to have!
Sorry the picture did not come
thru.

Looked still rifled from what I could see but too far to make sure. Barrel was octagon and fairly heavy.

yeah cracker barrel has some junk...and some real gems the one near me has a very nice fullstock percussion fowler....they wouldnt sell it

tree said:

Looked still rifled from what I could see but too far to make sure. Barrel was octagon and fairly heavy.

If it wasn't bored out smooth to use as a shotgun, it may have been recut to a larger caliber in its lifetime or just was originally that caliber.

I can't remember if it is a fox fire book or one of my other books where there is an article on a bear hunter I think from Kentucky or maybe Tennessee. He had killed a number of Black Bears with his .43 caliber percussion rifle, but wasn't quite satisfied it was large enough caliber. He wound up with a .47 caliber rifle he thought was much more certain sure of taking a black bear.

When I read the story I thought, "WOW, even with dogs to tree a bear, I don't think this child would EVER want to shoot it with a .47 caliber LET ALONE a .43 caliber!!" :grin:

Gus

Here is a picture of the Cracker Barrel rifle.
What style of rifle is this?

Using photobucket did not work.

1aa4c2d1-7ff0-47d6-92a2-44afc708a0a0_zpsypswzzvx.jpg
[/URL][/img] After getting some expert help on posting of pictures I decided to start a new topic. was curious what some of you may have thought the
style of this rifle was. Cracker Barrel guns are
mostly junk in my experience. This and one at the
Round Rock, Texas CB are exceptions that I have observed.

Back