• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete, I was hunting with my recurve bow this yr. and two does were coming right up to me when a coyote trotted between me and them. He didn't even look their way (had something else on his mind I guess), but they hauled out of there in the opposite direction from me anyway.

I was calling a gobbler in one time back in Fl. and all of a sudden I hear a bunch of yipping like a small fife dog and hear the gobbler flying off. Yotes ran in on him.

I've had a few come into the area when I was yelping for turkeys.

That's what I would expect.

My point is if you see a coyote you might as well shoot it, because it's already scared the other game away. :wink:

Capper...as the TV deer farmers say...they are on my hit list.. since I've moved to Illiois and have a dog running around. The yotes were raising cane last night all around my house..bright moon I guess..and the dog goes nuts when they do. He will run off a ways barking at them and I'm afraid one of these nights he's going to go too far.

Be very careful with your dog. Coyotes are pretty sneaky. They use a coyote female in heat to draw your dog out to them, and then rat pack him.

20 years of coyote hunting and I have never seen actual, real world coyotes like the ones I read about on the internet. Kinda like the :bull: wild hog shows that are popular on the discovery channel right now. Chris

No ones post in particular, if you read through this hole disjointed mess someone might think that coyotes are satan reincarnated. From spending a good portion of my life in the woods I have never seen it. For one thing, I have never seen, called in, or even seen any evidence of coyotes "packing" I have seen family groups of a male, female and pups just learning to hunt but that's it and as soon as the pups were old enough they broke up into individuals. I have hunted over dead livestock and seen multiple coyotes fight over the carcass. I have never seen or seen evidence of coyotes luring domestic dogs, and the list goes on.

Coyotes are predators and can cause fluctuations in game populations but demons incarnate they are not. Chris

The luring dogs out with females was real in Big Bear Ca. They have a huge coyote problem there, but they wouldn't let us kill them in town, and that's where they mostly were. They had a good thing with all the dogs available. Half the town is rental homes. The people come up from LA and bring their dogs. They have no clue about the coyote danger, and just let the dogs out to run free at night. I would hear the dogs being killed at least 5 nights a week. Especially in the summer.

I was told many many times by the people living there all their life that the coyotes would lure out the dogs with a female in heat. They claimed to have witnessed it. I can't say i've witnessed it, but I did hear the same story from the warden.

So, I don't know. It could be true. I was just passing it along. Better to be cautious than lose your dog.

A friend of mine in AZ that I learned a lot from and is a full time ADC expert uses tolling dogs, airedales, to lure coyotes into shooting range. These are trained dogs and know their job well and are a joy to watch in action. It is hard to believe that coyotes are that premeditated to plan and cooridinate attacks on domestic dogs.

I think if people would learn more about coyotes and start hunting them for the sport of hunting them that they would get more respect and a lot of the problems they are causing would get solved in the process. Chris

Yeah, it's hard to believe, but I witnessed it with my own eyes. One coyote came into the neighbors yard, and lured the house dog out away from the house, then the others raced in and got him. Miniature doberman.

August West said:
A friend of mine in AZ that I learned a lot from and is a full time ADC expert uses tolling dogs, airedales, to lure coyotes into shooting range. These are trained dogs and know their job well and are a joy to watch in action. It is hard to believe that coyotes are that premeditated to plan and cooridinate attacks on domestic dogs.

I think if people would learn more about coyotes and start hunting them for the sport of hunting them that they would get more respect and a lot of the problems they are causing would get solved in the process. Chris

I hunt them all year, but i'm sorry. I have no respect for them.

All I have for them is a bullet.

How do you hunt them? About how many do you get in a year? Hunting all year you should be able to put a pretty good dent in the population in your hunting areas, especially hunting them in the spring when they are having pups. Chris

I hunt them with a scoped .223.

I went around to the local ranchers and got permission to clean them off their property. In return they let me hunt big game on the property.

I kill my share.

Do you call? Electric or mouth?

I use a Johnny stewart converta call, which is basically an amp and speaker that you can plug into, either an MP3 player or CD player. I also use mouth calls, my favorites are open reed crittr gettr calls I also have an older circe that I like a lot. Depending on where I am hunting I use decoys as well. When I lived in AZ I called in and killed several bobcats and a lion, I have only killed one bobcat back east though. Predator hunting is quite an addiction, I don't have any good hunting areas here, I have been gone too much but now that I am retired I hope to change that. Chris

It sounds like the western coyotes are much more harsh than these we have east of the mississippi. We have quite a few of them, but it sounds like our problem isn't near as severe as the problem out west. My grandpa takes a walk every morning around his farm with his 10 year old border collie and one day he said the dog ran 6 coyotes out of a brushy area on the side of a field. That dog can really keep up with them. My grandpa always said that back in that dog's younger years, the dog would run off and be right on the heels of a deer, then sprint right back to my grandpa. Nowadays the dog walks back :haha:. Seeing this thread reminded me of coyote hunting, I think I might go do some calling tomorrow night.

I think you'll find it depends on how hungry they are at the time Luie. We are just about as far East as you can get and they are grabbing family pets here all the time.

Yeah they are hell on cats, I've heard of people putting a stray cat in a cage and hoisting it up in a tree, when it starts squalling the coyotes are supposed to come running. I've never tried it but it is supposed to work like a charm. My favorite coyote hunting areas are as close as I can legally get to housing areas, coyotes love small pets, road kill and garbage cans. I called in and killed three behind the town dump one morning. Chris

EDIT: I may be cold but I really have no sympathy for people getting their pets snatched, you let small animals free roam and free roaming bigger animals are liable to make a meal out of them. Law of the wild. Chris

August West said:
Do you call? Electric or mouth?

I use a Johnny stewart converta call, which is basically an amp and speaker that you can plug into, either an MP3 player or CD player. I also use mouth calls, my favorites are open reed crittr gettr calls I also have an older circe that I like a lot. Depending on where I am hunting I use decoys as well. When I lived in AZ I called in and killed several bobcats and a lion, I have only killed one bobcat back east though. Predator hunting is quite an addiction, I don't have any good hunting areas here, I have been gone too much but now that I am retired I hope to change that. Chris

I'd like to use electronic calls, but they're kind of pricey.
I know some guys get addicted to predator hunting. I don't think I could. I like to hunt for meat. So, my coyote hunting is really just so I get access to the private land for big game. I'm not a great caller, but if I can get them in under 400 yds the .223 does it's job.

Maybe when I get too old for big game i'll get more serious about coyotes.

One thing I discovered. Predator calls bring in the bears too. I'm always looking behind me.

The luring dogs out with females was real in Big Bear Ca.

It's also real here in CO. A friend of mine who lived in the Conifer area observed a coyote at the tree line across a pasture. It was whining and draggin it's rear leg. Her neighbors dog took off after it and when he got close the decoy yote got over that leg problem and several more came out of the trees. They quickly killed the dog and dragged it into the woods. This took place around february in the winter time.

Try cranking down loud and raspy on an open reed with wild hogs around, make you wish for a bear. The only time I have ever gotten spooky in the woods, I had about a 200 pound sow with little ones come barreling in popping her cutters and every hair on her standing up, she was looking for the fight. I started yelling and kicking at her and she finally ran off but she wasn't sure about leaving even then. Chris

Back