• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyote Head Possible Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fvigo

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am considering buying a possible bag with a coyote head for the flap.

Couple of questions...

1. If I plan on deer hunting, is the coyote head going to smell such that deer will sniff me out as a yote?

2. What type of persona would such a bag go with? I have yet to decide on a persona so I don't want something that is limited to a particular persona.

Thanks

You can also smoke your clothes around a wood fire to lose the human scent and other scents.

Couple of questions...

1. If I plan on deer hunting, is the coyote head going to smell such that deer will sniff me out as a yote?

2. What type of persona would such a bag go with? I have yet to decide on a persona so I don't want something that is limited to a particular persona.

Thanks

Im my mind, you would almost have to be a Mountain Man of the 1820-1840's era.

However, if you just want such a bag, stay tuned! Someone should be able to win one pretty soon.

It is my own feeling that any real animal skin should be smoked pretty good before using it as a part of your hunting gear. I have no "proof" that the smoking really works, but it puts my mind at ease.

Russ
bag.jpg

I have a coyote shooting bag. The leather is very flexable, so it really doesn't hold it's shape real well. Also, in my area, there are lots of burrs. The hide loves to collect them. Picking them off, gives you something to do when you take a stand.

how would you get the hide scentless? tanned goathides never seem to loose the goat smell

If the animal is upwind of you, it wont matter what the bag smells like
Idaho PRB :imo:

Good thing you don't use the leg as a cover, every time you pass a tree, your bag's flap would raise... :crackup:

The coyote head bag will be awesome, go for it...

I don't have pictures, but a friend has one made from the head of a cow elk. Don't know about PC, but it looks great. The head is big enough that he keeps his gear in that (eyes, nose and mouth sewn shut) with a coninuous piece of neck hide folding over for the cover. The flap rides in against his body rather than on the outside, but that lets him use it without any kind of clasp. He's still waiting for the chance to use the head for a "decoy." Makes sense to me, and would probably work pretty well with a deer head too. Look up the book about Ishi, and he used a doe head for a decoy to draw deer into bow range, so it all kinda fits.

Back