• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Couple of patch knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonehunter

58 Cal.
Reaction score
His and hers patch knives
4 1/8" Blades of 0-1 Tool steel, Lightly aged
3 3/8" full tang handles with Curly Maple slabs
Iron pins
As always, Thanks for looking and comments welcome.
James
100_3179.jpg

Thanks all!
M.D. I start by drilling two intersecting holes and do the rest with files.

WOW!....and WOW again!

Look at that flame grain in those handles! __ Your getting so darn good James, that you might turn into one of those fantabulass Master Craftsman people and not talk to me anymore!.... :rotf:

Beautiful craftsmanship there dude!

Rick :hatsoff:

:haha: No worries there Rick, still have a loooong way to go.
They say it takes 25 years of knife making to realize that ya dont know anything.
Thanks all for the kind words, good to hear from ya Beaverman. :v

I would guess you heat treat your own knives as well if your cutting holes in them and filing. Can you share your regimen or is it a trade secret? I do a good bit of heat treating my self what with tool and gun part making and am always curious and looking for a better way of doing things.
I got three heat treating furnaces now and wonder how that happened. The latest is digital and was needed for my gun action case coloring projects but is advertized as a knife making furnace from Evenheat Inc. MD

I really like the looks of that old style of knife and have seen some large ones made from forgings in the same shape. I have always wondered though why the old dead guys who invented this style did not put the handle tang/haft on the bottom side so they wouldn't tend roll over in your hand when you have to put heavy pressure on the cutting edge. MD

M.D. I do a 1250 soak then ramp up to 1475 followed with a oil quench.
I believe you recieved a P.M. with the details. :v

Back