• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correct 4 bore barrel length ? ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmucheer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Could someone please tell me if there is one correct barrel length ( before any modifacations might have been done. ) for a quality made 4 bore,percussion,smoothbore,double barrel, muzzleloading shotgun ? The barrels are marked London Fine Twist. I realize that a lot people are of the opinion that there is no such thing as a quality twist barrel while others think they are just fine and ok to shoot. I need to know if there happened to be a standard length and if there was a standard length, what it was when the gun left the maker ?

Thanks so much ,
Elizabeth

I'm not sure "correct" is the correct term. Barrel length could be determined by intended use. 4-bores were either used to stop something big and dangerous, so a short barrel (26" to 28") was preferred for speed, or lots of flying or floating somethings, where a longer barrel (32" +) was used. Punt guns of the Chesapeake were six to eight feet long or better, and they probably had counterparts in other parts of the world.

Stumperkiller ,

Thanks for your reply, That's what I thought I had learned during the last three months of research and reading every bit of information I could find on the subject. I don't know if it 's important or not but the proof marks on the barrels are from the Birmingham Proof House. I am asking because a gun dealer I talked to online just told me that in order to be a QUALITY 4 Bore it had to have barrels between 34 and 36 inches in length unless they had been cut down and in that case it would cause the gun to lose 1/2 its value. Have you heard this ? Is this true ? I ask because my 4 bore has barrels that are 33 inches long. And if someone had done a cut down on it wouldn't there be some sort of sign that the work had been done, like evidence of sanding or grinding etc.?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

I've never been to Africa and I don't hunt geese, so my exposure to 4-bores is just what I've read in Double Gun Journal. Never recall seeing a length qualifier as you mention.

Perhaps Squire Robin will help us out here?

Stumpkiller,
Thanks for your help. Robin has actually been kind enough to answer my questions in the past. Hopefully if he sees this post and has the time he won't mind answering a few more questions about the gun.

Thanks Again,

Elizabeth

Stumperkiller ,
I am asking because a gun dealer I talked to online just told me that in order to be a QUALITY 4 Bore it had to have barrels between 34 and 36 inches in length unless they had been cut down and in that case it would cause the gun to lose 1/2 its value.

Sounds like a dealer to avoid.

JMHO,

Buffler Runner

Buffler Runner,

Thanks for the advice.I am going to take it and stay away from him. Or maybe he will stay away from me since I didn't receive a reply when I sent him the information I got from a gentlemen in the UK . He happens to be an expert with amazing knowledge and was kind enough to share that knowledge with me while I was researching the 4 bore.Luckily he saw my question posted on another forum and again came to my rescue.So for anyone interested, his answer was as follows.

British antique muzzleloading gun and rifle standard practice is to measure from the face of the muzzle to the rear face of the breech (excluding the tang). This gives the measure offically recognised ever since records began and used officially in government specifications and the gun trade. Hence the Pattern 1853 Rifle is defined as 39 inches by this measure as is the short rifle at 33 inches etc.,etc.

Your double percussion M/L gun should , therefore , be defined as having a barrel measured between these points. This is the accepted auction catalouge method also.

I hope this information helps someone else.

Thanks All, for your replys,

Elizabeth

Back