• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Copper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been looking at a lot of rifle pictures and can't say as I have seen copper on any of the ones I've looked at. So the obvious question, is copper ever used in a build?

The reason I am asking is that I have several pieces of sheet copper. some 1/16" and some appear to be about 1/8".

I saw a ‘copper clad’ rifle, and a brag from the old days was recorded ‘ in the original iron jawed brass bellied copper clad corpse maker’ ( say that when your in your cups) but alas the rifle was a modren build.
Plenty of copper was used back in the day, but as above I would reckon it was too soft for furniture
Bronze was used on gun locks and flash pans, looks more copper then brass.
I Think I saw an old copper band on the front of a gun and copper wire wrist repairs

I would think they would have used whatever they could come up with depending on whatever was most available in their area but copper alone would have been a fourth or fifth choice. They most likely would have used it more in the smelter for mixing with they brass they had on hand.

Back