• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conversion from Caps to Ramset ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden sky

40 Cal
Reaction score
hey I was wondering if anyone came up with an adapter for swapping over to a low powered Ramset instead of a 209 or a #11 cap? both 209's and #11 have become impossible to find in California.. plenty of Ramsets at Homedepot

today I was able to take a .22LR and snip the base off with a pair of dikes and slid it over a #11 nipple, to my amaizment it fired nicely, yet I haven't tried it with and black powder yet.

Interesting idea. A pistol primer in a short length of aquarium tube will also work, but primers are hard to find. Why don't you try a blank charge in the back yard and let us know how that Ramset works. They are cheap enough I think I'll give it a try myself.

The toy pistol role caps can work for the home made cups.Not real good.I used to do that myself. The powders from the same place as the cap maker do work very well. Powerful and will work with any of the subs.

Ramset cartridge's contain a charge of smokeless powder. I have no idea how that will interact with the main charge. The Tap-o-Cap with toy roll caps works OK. I made thousands when I was younger.

I lost the hole punch supplied with the kit. It is a small and weird size. If anyone know where to get one I am all ears.

As a boy I broke open what where called' cartridge' electrical fuses just to get the two ends so as to put toy pistol caps into them to fire my Enfield .Hardly a practicle plan beyound the few shots it limits you to work with .But it worked & I could reload them .But such primeing is horribly corrosive. .Rudyard

Ramset cartridge's contain a charge of smokeless powder. I have no idea how that will interact with the main charge. The Tap-o-Cap with toy roll caps works OK. I made thousands when I was younger.

I lost the hole punch supplied with the kit. It is a small and weird size. If anyone know where to get one I am all ears.
Try one of the large craft stores. They usually have a variety of hole punches.

Maybe one of these would have the right size. Search for leather punch.

1636410677771.png

Seems like with the ramset you'd be rolling the dice on haulin'-ass gas and potential shrapnel exploding from under the hammer. No experience with them, but it's a .22 and I know what those can do.

I just use the plastic red toy caps for range shooting (most shooting actually) and save my #11 caps for hunting. I only use Black Powder.

Latest posts

Back