• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conrad Humble rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougeee

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, Went to a heritage days event.Met a very nice gentleman by the name of Mel Hankla from Kentucky.He gave a portrayal of an old Simon Kenton.He also had a flintlock made in the latter 1700's made by Conrad Humble.Mr. Hankla is trying to find out who Humble could have learned from.Conrad Humble lived in the Brocks Gap area of Va.then moved to Ky. Mr.Hankla was kind enough to hold and photgraph the rifle.He was also was kind enough to give me permission to post these photos.Any guesses or theories?

I saw this gun a year or so ago at a show. The gun is VERY York county in style. It has an overall look of the 1790's. It is also VERY heavy. Over on another board, we discussed this gun a while ago, and we all thought that Humble may have been trained in York County, PA.

It's a very attractive thing, to be sure.

Thanks for the reply Deutscher.I agree,it was surprisingly(to me )VERY heavy.Could this be considered a transitional rifle build?

No, the so called transitional rifles are those which are pre Revolutionary War and before.This rifle dates to about 1790 or a little before or after.
Tom Patton

Thanks for clearing that up for me Okwaho.I'm pretty new to the rifle scene.This forum gives me more information than I can absorb.Could someone please give some of the characteristics that lean this rifle towards York Co.? Thanks

The carving is VERY similar to carving found on Schroyer and some Shriver guns (among others, including some of the Sell rifles from one county west). Step-wristed rifles are sometimes seen from York county. One I can think of off hand is by Shriver, but I think I have seen a few others.

Thanks once again Deutscher.I do recall Mr.Hankla mentioning Schroyer often.

Back