• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conicals in my '51 Navy - problem!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevthebassman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a box of conical bullets from the local gun store, they carry some home cast bullets. They're 200 grainers, .451. The problem I have is that they won't fit into the loading port! Can't get the loading lever on them.

Now, I can get them loaded just fine if I take the cylinder off and load them, but I was wondering if there is anyone out there who makes conicals that will actually fit under the loading lever?

If you're going to try and use a bullet that is too long about your only option is a cylinder loader of some sort or another where you remove the cylinder from the gun for loading.

Big Iron barrel works(now defunked) used to make a great wad cutter bullet for cap and ball revolvers. I still have some in .36 both 100 and 80 grain. Wish somebody else would make a similar bullet. It slid right into the cylinder and easily fit under the loading lever.

Don

Before i bought my bench loader i removeded the cylinder and used my short starter to load them.

Mike

Looks like it'll be a short starter until I can get or make a loading stand. I'm planning on carrying my Colt as a sidearm during deer season (It's legal and I wanna, and that's all the reason I need!) and I want the conicals in case a deer wanders stupid close.

The problem you are having is the 51' Navy was originally designed for .36 only. If you look close you will see the frame on your .44 Navy replica - like mine - is cut a little deeper to accept the .44 cylinder. I like the .44 better too. But you are restricted to round balls.

I have a 36 caliber Colt 51. If you buy "Buffalo Bullet" conicals they won't fit and that's for 36 caliber not 44 caliber. You must buy pointed conicals (available from Dixie Gun Works). You can probably check their goods on line. Now you have a 44 so I'm not sure if the DGW conicals in a 44 will fit. Ask DGW customer service if you can speak to a tech. Then tell the tech your problem. Contrary to what some have experienced, I've had nothing but good luck with DGW. The tech may be able to take one of their 44 conicals and see how well it fits in the recess of a Navy chambered for the 44. Good luck.
and.. BTW if you ever want to make combustible cartridges, these DGW conicals have little rebates around the base for the paper case, just like the original conicals.
One problem with conicals. The historically correct pointed conical can twist out of line under the pressure of the ramrod. That doesn't do much for accuracy. The "Buffalo Bullet" type conicals look more like a semi-wadcutter and are more accurate in most cases but they aren't PC.

one thing you should consider is those .451 slugs will not 'shave off' a ring of lead when you seat them which ain't good. this could contribute to chainfires.
If you wish to shoot conicals get those like the Lee mold slugs that have the rebated heel on them (reduced diameter for easy and straight loading) they shoot good too in my '58 Rem.

When loading these conicals, I was in fact shaving off a bit of a ring.... not as much as when I shoot roundball, mind you, but I use felt wads anyway, so I don't worry about it.

Kev: I've tried the .451 conicals from Dixie that Crocket mentions. Again, they won't load in the .44 51' Navy. The opening is just not big enough.
Crocket: I've had the same problem as you trying to load .451 conicals in my 1860 Army. You can't load them without deforming the bullet. Wonder how the soldiers ever made them work. Like you say, you can load them but accuracy really suffers. I've always thought that the soldiers liked them because the heavier bullet would hit harder??

There is a big difference between target accuracy and man killing accuracy. A 6"- 8" group is not to good on a target but but is just fine in a combat situation with a handgun.

When you load conicals, you have less room for powder so you get lower velocity. They do hit hard but the loss of velocity diminishes this gain somewhat. In a Walker for example, there may well be no power gain and the ball's flatter trajectory may be of more use and often the ball's higher velocity will result in better penetration. As many have come to realise, the humble round ball is a formidable projectile!

Back