• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1860 with fluted cylinder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1860 a.jpg
1860 b.jpg

1860 c.jpg

1860 d.jpg

1860 e.jpg

1860 f.jpg

1860 g.jpg

1860 h.jpg

1860 i.jpg

1860 j.jpg

The NRA publishes a monthly magazine for collectors, "Men at Arms" and there are ads from the various dealers in antique guns. I'd check that revolver out.

Have a Uberti fluted cylinder. Just love it! If a weapon/firearm/revolver could be called 'sexy' this particular version, in my estimation, could.
I always loved the 1860 Army , since I was a kid. My first gun was an ASM 1860 that my Uncle bought for me when I was 13. I loved that thing.

Then I saw those fluted cylinder Ubertis and I'm like, the 1860 Army gets cooler??

Uberti supposedly made full flute 1851s and 1861s , I'm like , let's get some more of those out

That's very nice. The serial number is low. Do you know when it was made and how many were made? I have an 1860 Army serial number 117260 on the frame and barrel and just 7260 on the cylinder. It's interesting that this one has the same number on the cylinder. I wonder why the fluted cylinder wasn't popular because weight had to be a consideration.

That's very nice. The serial number is low. Do you know when it was made and how many were made? I have an 1860 Army serial number 117260 on the frame and barrel and just 7260 on the cylinder. It's interesting that this one has the same number on the cylinder. I wonder why the fluted cylinder wasn't popular because weight had to be a consideration.
I understand some of the fluted cylinders in the 1860s had integrity issues and reports of the cylinders blowing out walls.

If I recall correctly, Colt sent some 2000 1860s to Texas during the Civil War with fluted cylinders and many suffered this condition.

Though as I write this I can't seem to find the source.

The factory typically used only the last 4 digits on cylinder, arbor and wedges

Exactly right. They did have problems with the full fluted cylinder. Colt changed to all full round cylinders and a tapered chamber to resolve the issue. I read this in Pates excellent book on the 1860. I don’t have it in the house right now to quote it. (My 14 year old great granddaughter has it and is writing a report on that volume, she loves the 1860’s almost as much as I do.) Man I’m proud of that kid!

I understand some of the fluted cylinders in the 1860s had integrity issues and reports of the cylinders blowing out walls.

If I recall correctly, Colt sent some 2000 1860s to Texas during the Civil War with fluted cylinders and many suffered this condition.

Though as I write this I can't seem to find the source.
The fluted cylinders are early and though I don’t know the exact number from memory the majority of these were sold to Southern State units before the embargo went into effect. The serial numbers are fairly easy to search to determine where it went. I have a fluted Pietta and love it.

The factory typically used only the last 4 digits on cylinder, arbor and wedges

Exactly right. They did have problems with the full fluted cylinder. Colt changed to all full round cylinders and a tapered chamber to resolve the issue. I read this in Pates excellent book on the 1860. I don’t have it in the house right now to quote it. (My 14 year old great granddaughter has it and is writing a report on that volume, she loves the 1860’s almost as much as I do.) Man I’m proud of that kid!
The fluted cylinders were failure prone. Even with northern steel Colt couldn’t make it work at the time.

Latest posts

Back