• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colerain barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy sold me a 32 cal, advertised it as having a Colerain barrel but their website doesn't list that caliber and it isn't marked anywhere. What should I do?

Can someone take a photo of the makers marking on a Colerail barrel, please?

Here
DFC964B9-604A-40EB-8156-C189533DB2ED.jpeg

Tell the guy he’s mistaken. Run a tight, lubed patched ball down the barrel. See if the bore feels uniform end to end and the twist is what you want. Then if it’s a quality barrel, doesn’t really matter who made it. At that point decide whether to return or re-negotiate price.

Colerain is stamped on the a flat along with the calibre. On my barrel, it is clocked to the bottom side.
It's on it's way back to him. Thanks for the help.
Shoot it, clean, repeat....
I didn't shoot it- the rear sight is twisted in the dovetail and the front sight looks like someone used a cold chisel to move it. I was afraid to load it. I did take about thirty photos as we were unpacking it.

Was it draw filed? Blued/browned. In the white? Is caliber stamps on it? Do you know it is the caliber you paid for? I don't know but I guess you could draw file identifying marks from even a Timex. Just saying.
Dave

Hi,
Tobie, because Colerain barrels are not finished on the outside the maker's stamp is easily filed off during draw filing. I always position the maker's stamp on the bottom of the barrel and don't draw file the bottom 3 flats as much as the top 5 but I do file them somewhat because a smoother surface will not generate rust as easily. Colerain stamps can be very shallow and filed off in just a few swipes.

dave

Back