• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colerain barrel questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Some of you might have seen the pictures of the rifle I got at Tip Curtis' place last week. When I bought it I thought I'd just get me a deer hunting rifle, but I've been tinkering with setting the sights lately and it seems to be shooting some pretty fair groups. This is the first Colerain rifle barrel I've ever owned, and I don't know anything about them except that they have a pretty good reputation for accuracy, but I didn't expect the barrel to shoot as good as it has been shooting.
How good are the Colerain rifle barrels, and does anybody on here shoot one in competition?

I've got two, one in .54 and the other in .58. I don't have anything to really compare them to, but with some load development I've been able to get decent groups (sub 3" from a bench) at 100 yards which is about all I'm going to get with my eyes/ability.
The one thing I really do like about 'em is the lack of fouling buildup over a string. I can do a trail walk or shoot 20-25 rounds in a range session and not have to wipe the bore.

I have a 42" "B" in 50cal that shoots and cleans up very well. No complants at all about my colerain barrel.

I do not shoot serious competition, just trail walks and hunting, but would feel confident with a Colrain barrel rifled or smooth anytime,I have had a couple of each and they shoot better than I can hold anymore.

I have three rifles with Colerain round bottom riflings. The .40 I have never had a problem with.
The .54 would throw a shot ever once in a while. I had to run a tight 4 ought steel wool pad down the bore to get the burr that was grabbing the patches. My newest rifle the .62 has been another story. It sighted in just fine and for over a month it was great. Then I was shooting at a 200 yard ram on Friday and it would hit every time.
On Saturday the same load shot 15 feet to the right! It grouped! First off the sights were not moved. As it turned out my barrel had feather burrs. These are caused when the cutter has a little bit of chatter. After the barrel is rifled
the polishing process pushes these burrs into the
round bottom of the rifling. After a certain amount of shooting these burrs will stand up and start cutting your patches. You accuracy will fail. It took me a while to get them I would go to the range and shoot, clean the gun before I left home and run the steel wool down the barrel
with oil, when I got home. This did not seem to help, then I figured out when I ran my tight cleaning patch down the barrel I was pushing the
burrs back down. The last time at the range I did not clean the barrel in the field. I took it home dirty and poured near boiling water in the bore until it was clean. Then my steel wool patch got one of the burrs on the next swipe. I could have got the other one also but they are very small and the steel wool was very cruddy. I think one more session at the range will do the trick. I can't wait to get it back on track, it was a tack driver before the burrs stood up :grin:

I have had poor luck with them in general. Most are cut a little on the rough side. The breech plugs are often not well fitted from what I've seen. You will pay a little more, but there are better barrels available. I would suggest Rice, or Getz.

I'm presently 75 and can't afford to wait for a Getz bbl so I use Rice bbls which are of equal quality. The Getz name has a good reputation and the 4 I've used bears this out but holy cow, the wait!!.....Fred

I am guilty. I have only 3 custom guns and they all have Colerain barrels. I have absolutely no complaint on accuracy out of any of them. I have them in an "A" weight 42" 36cal.also a 40cal. and a 50cal. Both of these are "B" weight 42" barrels with round groove rifling. I don't shoot in competition, but the squirrels, groundhogs and deer think I do. :wink:

Looks like mixed reviews. :grin:
Thanks everybody for the replies. :wink:

There's a B .45 sitting on my workbench with my "in progress" first build. At the moment it's just a glorified stick, but it's a pretty stick! :grin:

Paulvalladigham,
Thank you sir for your suggestion. Said rifle is on the way to the CLA show this weekend. The man who made it for me, Todd Carpenter asked me if he could show the rifle at the CLA. I will work with it when it gets back.
Thank you sir!

Bakeoven,

My LC Rice barrel has DEEP round grooves (.018") which is deeper than Colerain and they're asymetrical. Not exatcly round but wider at one land than the other and built along the lines of the bores in the old Sharon Hawkens. Think this should be as easy to clean and load? :hmm:

-Ray

I like Colerain barrels and the service I get from Scott Keller at Colerain. Got a Getz, Rice and 2 Colerains. Only difference I see in them is the Colerain might be a little more accurate and cost $85 less.

I like my Colerain .50 swamped 44" barrel. I don't compete formally. I know a fellow who does real well in competitions with one just like it. The main negatives you'll hear are from builders who like the factory finish on Getz or Rice better, but Colerain makes a very good barrel.

Thanks again.
Mike, the finish on mine is kinda rough, but it shoots so well I don't really mind. :grin:

Back