• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold weather shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing brings out the glory of a Minnesota winter like shooting a black powder revolver! "Now that's brisk, Baby!"

I had Ol' Pugsley out today. A little cold on the fingers, but like they say, "chili today, hot tamale"! :ghostly:
20210130_141042.jpg
20210130_141246.jpg

20210130_142726.jpg

I keep my jar of beeswax/Crisco/lanolin bullet lube in my shirt pocket, under my jackets, to keep it usabley soft

20210130_142615.jpg

Your firearm will need little or no lubrication, and be aware that natural lubes will probably get too stiff in cold weather. Something like Breakfree won't.

I have never used any of the substitute powders in cold weather. I would be very interested to know if they ignite properly, but I would bet that they do. Please let us know the results you get.

What type of guns are you planning to shoot?

Tomorrow forecast is -15F...anything I should know about black powder or their subs in percussion rifles at those temps as I am planning a range trip.
Wow that's cold! It's gonna be 23F here tomorrow, I'm stopping by the ML club after the annual meeting. I probably won't last too long out there but oh well.. Have fun out there!

Tomorrow forecast is -15F...anything I should know about black powder or their subs in percussion rifles at those temps as I am planning a range trip.
At about 0 F, I go to using Eezox for internal lock lube. I degrease my triggers with carb cleaner and leave them dry, no matter if set triggers or a simple single trigger. From zero to about -30F, I've used neatsfoot oil as a patch lube with no problems of the lube thickening. Somehow I haven't had the inclination to test lubes below -30F.

Ignition of black powder at those temps seems normal, and the chronograph says velocities are about the same.

Anecdotally, I have the impression that POI was a bit lower at 100 yards, maybe a couple inches. I haven't done enough testing of this to say for sure, but that is my impression.

My trigger finger is 1 knuckle shorter than it used to be thanks to a saddle, rope and a mama cow. So it hates the cold. But, I took the ladder sight off & put the factory rear sight back on my rifle today so I want to shoot it. I am determined to figure out the original sights and shoot it like it was meant to.

I'm thinking about shooting a rifle match tomorrow with the temp low in the -6 F. range but wonder how much fun it will be in that cold.

In my experience, age + moisture as a combination is the enemy, not field temps. At -15, im certain the rifle would work better than the person!

Well, RanchRoper --- It's been my experience that black powder just doesn't fire in freezing temperatures. Leastways, mine don't.
And it gets that cold here in South Texas for 3 - 4 days pretty near every year too !! I've been told that muzzleloaders way up north around Amarillo found a way to warm their powder up so as to keep it working in the winter, on account of they've got nothing between them and the North Pole but a couple thousand miles of prairie grass and four strands of bob wire. And maybe a little bit of Canada, which is cold enough all by itself.
I was on a job once in New Hampshire which is apparently located inside the Arctic Circle a few months every year due to Continental Drift - and I used to strike sparks with my flint `n steel and then keep `em in an empty cap box in my coat pocket for lighting my pipe and firing my rifle in the winter time. I'd just shake a few of `em out where I needed `em and than blow on `em to warm `em up enough to work. Then one day I plumb forgot to leave the cap box out on the porch rail. Just hung up my coat on the peg rack and sure enough them sparks warmed up and burnt a hole in my pocket.
In the Army they taught us to remove all oil and use dry lubricant (graphite) on our weapons in cold weather to keep them working. It worked then but I'm too old and stiff to see if it still does.
Good luck to ye.
Tanglefoot

If I’m going to have an ignition problem with any powder it is in the hot, humid summer. Never have had a problem in sub zero as the colder it gets, the lower the relative humidity. It was -28 F this AM and the humidity was 36%.

Ok I'm back from the range, just finished cleaning the rifle. Hands are thawing out as I type. Didn't get as cold as forecasted, it was -12F at the range. Sun popped out for a minute and didn't feel too bad but temp didn't change much. Shooting 50 gn of Triple 7; 25 yds and 50 yds. .490 patched ball, I kept my little patch tin in my wool coat pocket. .015 patches. No wind at all thankfully! The historians on the forum will appreciate that yesterday I removed the ladder rear sight I put on awhile back, and returned the rifle to original rear sight. I really like it that way too but was getting a little frustrated early on. Now that I am much more comfortable with it, I want to shoot it with the correct sights. Here are the targets: yellow one is 25 yds off hand, the other is 50 yds from 1 knee. I have to aim high to get the POI where I want it, and it's still low. Thinking a shorter front sight (still correct for the rifle!!) will work best. I will check TOW and see what they have. Rather not file if I don't have to. But much better this time around, and will keep at it. I nicked the brown on the barrel a little removing the ladder sight so that ticked me off somewhat, I guess that can be touched up too at some point. The rifle shot flawlessly, no misfires and everything ignited as it should. Dry patched the bore twice during the shoot. Had the whole range to myself for some reason today.... :)
25 yds Frontier Feb 721a.jpg50 yds Frontier Feb 721a.jpg

Back