• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleetus...a "Flint-cussion" gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So uh...yer guess is as good as mine. Cleetus made a "Flint-cussion" gun?

Screenshot_20240316_145309_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_145328_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_145420_eBay.jpg

Sentry44

This one is workable. I assume the percussion cap is used to fire the pan powder? It would be expensive to build.
The pan powder is fired with the flint the percs nipple hole goes directly through to the main charge. There is a sliding cover over the pan powder for percs.
Doc,

I remember when Dixie made their Mountain rifle an it came with two locks one of each. It was a good gun an I've always wondered why Kibler never made a percussion lock to be interchangeable. His SMR is patterned after a percussion rifle.
With all the requests for a percussion. I'm surprised he hasn't. JMHO

So uh...yer guess is as good as mine. Cleetus made a "Flint-cussion" gun?

View attachment 304367

View attachment 304368
View attachment 304369

Sentry44

Looks like a crude attempt to make a DIY tube lock.

The tube-lock was from 1831, Instead of a cap, a tube of powder with Potassium Permanganate would be used, and could be inserted into the touch hole. An impact would then detonate the tube, and part of that detonation would reach the main charge. It was a simple conversion over from a flintlock, requiring the existing lock to be modified with three new parts. (Fast and inexpensive conversion..., on paper... still had to train the privates....) No barrel mods necessary. In this case it looks like the flat cover portion of the previous frizzen is coming down and would ignite such a system. The overlarge square would deflect most of the additional ignition downwards.... A rather ham fisted approach.

Unless the guy was "demilling" the lock to use it as a stage prop at a school?

Here are good videos on a tube lock system that was perfected...,

Austro-Hungarian Tube Lock Pistol (12 min)... and the host is RIGHT, the majority of good things in life begin with opening a beer.....

Austro-Hungarian Tube Lock Rifle (37 min)

LD

The tube-lock was from 1831, Instead of a cap, a tube of powder with Potassium Permanganate would be used, and could be inserted into the touch hole. An impact would then detonate the tube, and part of that detonation would reach the main charge. It was a simple conversion over from a flintlock, requiring the existing lock to be modified with three new parts. (Fast and inexpensive conversion..., on paper... still had to train the privates....) No barrel mods necessary. In this case it looks like the flat cover portion of the previous frizzen is coming down and would ignite such a system. The overlarge square would deflect most of the additional ignition downwards.... A rather ham fisted approach.

Austro-Hungarian Tube Lock Pistol (12 min)... and the host is RIGHT, the majority of good things in life begin with opening a beer.....

LD
good info

Found this beauty a while back on the web. 😂👍

Attachments

• 2355A90F-9335-4C5C-BB15-AA58D644B7E9.png
    2355A90F-9335-4C5C-BB15-AA58D644B7E9.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

LD
I really like his Range Rod SLING!
I might have to start drinking beer again!
As I don't have any 'benches' where I shoot, I'm going to go check my leather strap supply!

Back