• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning patch stuck at breach end.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I was trying to clean my enfield 3 bander after shooting and had just poured hot water down the barrel and got all that residue out. Than I got some cloth cleaning patches made from an old T Shirt. I neglected to wet the patch. And I also neglected to use the slit on the end of the ram rod to guide it up and down. I Rammed it down and realized I couldn't pull it out. I thought well ok ill just wait until the barrel cools off and the metal can retract. Sure enough 15 minutes later I tried again and got the ram rod out but the patch didn't go with it. I tried using a worm but It can't grip it good enough. I poured water down the nipple hole and tried to "flush" it out the other end but it didn't work, though water does go through it. And I don't think the worms teeth are sharp enough. What do you guys suggest?

I always try to have a forged worm just under the size of the bore. A good forged worm will grab everything down on the breach. Those little worms that look like a spring are not so good. If you need a picture of a forged one, just ask. I hope you get that patch out, I love those Enfield rifles!

I always try to have a forged worm just under the size of the bore. A good forged worm will grab everything down on the breach. Those little worms that look like a spring are not so good. If you need a picture of a forged one, just ask. I hope you get that patch out, I love those Enfield rifles!
Yeah could you DM me a picture of it? Thanks

Here is a little tool that I picked up somewhere. It has a forged screwdriver, hammer, vent pick and a worm. I had one forged for my 60cal flinter, but it is somewhere in my house that is eluding me. This one fits my 40cal flinter. It works really well.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0105.jpeg
    IMG_0105.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Also I love your videos sir.
What kind of brush? And do try to get it out when the patch Is wet or dry?
Here is the brush I use. It fits on the end of a rammer.
The patches are usually wet because they occasionally come off during cleaning.
If you can find a brass /wired brush, I'd say it would be better than this one.
And....thanks for watching the videos....

434891781_831451258875395_8863490443102095908_n.jpg

For less than $5.00 & using tools you already have...Another idea is try :

Last edited:
I've made a patch puller by twisting a length of metal coat hanger wire around a 5/16" drill shank and threading it on a 3/8" wood ramrod. Sharpen the tip the puller digs into the cloth and it will pull out the patch as the coils clamp down on the rod. I've used this as a tow worm, patch puller and patch holer.

If you have a .22 bore brush, attach it to a cleaning rod and run it down the bore. A couple of twists and it will grab the patch so you can retrieve. That's worked for me. (don't turn it counter-clockwise and unscrew the brush!)

Or just hit it with compressed air either with air compressor or aerosol can through touch hole or nipple. It should come out easily that way too.

Yeah , put a worn on the R.R. and pull here out , or try the brush ... Should do it . Back in the first year I had to get wire at the hardware , bend a very short 90 on the end , straighten the wire then push it to the breech , twisting it round and pull it out ....best of luck

In my possible I carry a piece of wire about 3 ft long.
I keep it rolled up.
I have used this to straighten out put a about a quarter inch 90° bend in the end of it
you can stick that down in the bottom of the barrel and turn it round and round and it will catch that patch and you can pull it out. hopefully.
I don't know how hard it's jammed down in there

Back