• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning lead problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drago

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Not my first time cleaning lead but this time I started with pretty clean rolled plumbers lead in sheets. After it was melted and scrapped crud off the top I added paraffin to flux and top developed a colored skimed top layer, it changes color but keeps coming back, any ideas to clean it?

I always thought that it was the hot lead reacting to the air. Anyway once I fluxed the lead a couple of times while stirring I did not worry very much about the rainbow layer you describe. Geo. T.

Anything with carbon in it will flux lead. I use shavings of walnut from my stock work. It smells like incense and works every bit as good as my can of marvelux that I don't use anymore.
Actually a wood paint paddle used to stir molten lead works good as flux with nothing else added. It fluxes as it slowly burns up. Mike D.

Sounds like your lead is oxidizing and this is normal. Like stated turn your heat down some if you can still get good pour. The hotter the heat the faster it will oxidize. Just scrape it aside to give you a clean spot to dip from. If it is a bottom pour you can lay a layer of cat little on to and it won't get oxygen to oxidize. Preferably unused liter.

I agree with the rest. The colors are a sure sign that the lead is pure. I will add that if you add 1000 grains of lead shot to 10 pounds of lead it will homogenize the melt. You won't harden the lead at all but the tin in it will allow you to pour at a higher temp. Ron

Well thanks for the information, I did'nt realize I had it that hot.

Flux? Who uses flux? :wink:
When wanting to remove crud I don't see how adding crud helps anything.
I used a flux for years then stopped. I simply stir occasionaly and skim off the crud. Get nice results. IMHO adding 'stuff' is pointless.

Well, I redid the lead today and sure nuff it worked fine, just kept the heat down

No problem, I try different things to see what I like. I do stir and scrape to get most of the crud out. I'm not sure how much the wax draws out. It gives me something to do while the ingots cool.

Flux? Who uses flux? 😉
When wanting to remove crud I don't see how adding crud helps anything.
I used a flux for years then stopped. I simply stir occasionaly and skim off the crud. Get nice results. IMHO adding 'stuff' is pointless.
A friend gave me about 60 lbs of lead, that had been lead sheathing used along the edge of the roof. It had some roofing material stuck to it. In trying to clean the lead after I got it separated and melted, I kept getting trash on my round balls, 50 caliber. would show up like dirt or something on the sides or sometimes on the sprue hole. After more flexing and cleaning, it didn't get any better, builds up considerably amount on the side of my lee 20 LB furnace. I fluxed the last time with Rosen, got much trash and yet when I poured it into my molds to save it there is turquoise stuff floating on top of the lead and I noticed that it seems to come through the bottom port like in strings. Anybody got any ideas what it could be? I've never had this kind of problem before.
Squint

That is simple oxidation, with possibly a trace of tin. Ignore it.

The "flux" put on top of a melt does nothing to clean the lead. Get a dry stick, like a piece of old ramrod, and use that to stir your pot. It allows scraping of the sides and bottom of the pot, and puts carbon completely through the mix to clean impurities. There is no way a light substance put on the top of a pot of melted lead can be stirred into the superior specific gravity of lead.

FYI, Marvelux will rust anything in the reach of it's fumes.

And NEVER clean lead in the same pot you cast from.

If you want a layer of material on top to maintain temperature, use kitty litter or Oil Dry.

Latest posts

Back