• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning .32 Green Mountain barrel with smaller chamber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eka

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought the Green Mountain drop-in in .32 for my Renegade. I took it to the range and it shot great with .30 grains of FFF Goex. However, when I was cleaning and attempting to use the fouling scraper, I could feel a sub-.32 cal. chamber. Has anyone determined what size bore brush and/or mop would be the correct size for this chamber?

Thanks,

Keith

eka said:
I recently bought the Green Mountain drop-in in .32 for my Renegade. I took it to the range and it shot great with .30 grains of FFF Goex. However, when I was cleaning and attempting to use the fouling scraper, I could feel a sub-.32 cal. chamber. Has anyone determined what size bore brush and/or mop would be the correct size for this chamber?

Thanks,

Keith
All my TC and GM barrels have patent breechs with that sub-caliber step down chamber, and I keep a .270 size rifle bore brush on a regular rifle rod to use with a patch to slide down in there...most any size smaller brush will work...22cal, .25cal, .270, .30cal...you just need something that'll be small enough and grip the patch.

If your GM barrel is a hooked breech type, like they are for drop-in barrels for a TC ML, the easiest way I've found to clean them is to submerge the breech end in a bucket of steaming hot soapy water and after the barrel gets heated up to aid in drying later on, pump flush a few patches through the bore...the breech will stay squeaky clean with no buildup.

In fact, the patent breech design actually seems to aid in keeping that area clean and blown out as it's being fired shot after shot...I haven't used a breech scraper in the 17 years I've owned and shot TC & GM barrels

Thanks Roundball. I don't think I'll be using the fouling scraper either unless I do some real redesign work on it. I do set the breach end in my cleaning solution and pump vigorously. I'll wrap a small brush with a cotton patch the next time to get in there though. I use the Peroxide, Murphy's Oil Soap, and Rubbing Alcohol mix to clean at the range.

Keith

eka said:
Thanks Roundball. I don't think I'll be using the fouling scraper either unless I do some real redesign work on it. I do set the breach end in my cleaning solution and pump vigorously. I'll wrap a small brush with a cotton patch the next time to get in there though. I use the Peroxide, Murphy's Oil Soap, and Rubbing Alcohol mix to clean at the range.
Keith

PS:
I've never used the P-MOS-RA solution you mentioned so I can't speak from personal experience...however, I've seen some 'cautionary' posts on the forum that there might be unpleasant side effects or the potential exists that there might be, etc...hopefully someone with first hand experience can chime in.

The regular peroxide you use in your mixture is mostly water, and once exposed to air it turns to all water soon anyway. In my reduced chamber rifles I pour in some solution after plugging the touchhole with a toothpick. I then put a wet patch on the jag, start it into the barrel, pull the toothpick, and "whoosh" it all out through the touchhole. This cleans the breach area. Put the toothpick back in, then pour a little pure alchohol down the barrel, swish it around, then dump it. This will dry out the breach area. A quick spritz of wd-40 through the touchhole will displace any remaining moisture. No problem with rust

Latest posts

Back