• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clay Smith Smootbores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank/Pa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am interested in building either an English or French smoothbore and have been considering one of the kits that Clay Smith offers. They appear to be of good quality. Anybody have any experience with Clay's guns. I have been building muzzleloaders for over 30 years, mostly with stocks from Pecatonica or Fred Miller, and more recently Jim Chambers and Dave Keck, but Clay Smith's offerings have peaked my interest.
http://www.claysmithguns.com/Kits.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
(disclaimer!) Clay and I work together quite a bit and he helps me sell some of my guns.

I have built a few of his kits and they go together quite well. The inlets will need some enlarging to get things to fit, like most other kits. He uses good components, especially his brass parts are a nice soft brass that is easy to work.

I am working on one of his American/English fowlers (I forget the exact name he gives it on his website) and it is going together fine.

When compared to other kits, his seem to be slimmer from the get-go, with a little less wood needing to be removed to reach finished dimensions.

Hope this helps!

Ken Moors

Thanks Ken, appreciate the information. You confirmed what my thoughts were. Seems like good stuff. Built quite a few smoothbores over the years, but always for somebody else. Fred Miller put the barrels in (always Getz when they were easy to get) one of his stocks from out in his barn. That was always an adventure. Fred would kick open the barn door and say pick one out. The nice thing about Fred is that the barrel was always fully inlet. Think only Dave Keck from Knob Mountain does it now, and it appears Clay Smith does it as well. Always hated those stocks where the swamped barrel was only partially inlet. Tedious work getting it fully inlet. I hate tedious. Time for me to make a smoothy for myself. Thanks again.

Ordered an Early English Trade gun kit with a walnut stock, 42 inch 20 gauge barrel. Should have it in about 2 weeks. Really anxious about getting this one started. Talked to Clay on the phone. He is a very nice person to do business with.

I just learned about Clay Smith from a thread in this forum today and went to look at his website. The Tulle kit he offers looks great and... well.. I just ordered one :).
I have a Pecatonica Tulle on order as well, which should be shipped soon (they got delayed because the patterning jig for the butt was being replaced or something). For Clay's, I don't know the wait time, but I read on his website that he assembles the kits individually.
It will be a nice comparison between the two kits. (Also, Pecatonica's will be plane Maple and Clay's is of Black Walnut.) Clay's is a bit more expensive, but not by much. And he uses Davis locks which I have one of and like it. I am so looking forward to both of these kit builds!

Back