• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clarification of 2 Entirely Different Models - CVA Stalker & Mountain Stalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
To clarify the differences between the CVA Stalker and Mountain Stalker, I found some photos of each.
The both may have been made with both a wood and a plastic stock, or a wood stocked Stalker was simply painted black.
Or else some folks are misidentifying a different model with a plastic stock as either a Stalker or a Mountain Stalker, when it's a CVA Bobcat.
Perhaps the "Mountain Stalker" was given different names by CVA, such as the Bobcat.
The Stalker had a 1 in 32" twist with a stock that featured a pistol grip, a monte carlo cheekpiece, a rubber butt pad and adjustable sights.
While the Mountain Stalker had a straight grip stock, fixed sights and a 1 in 48" twist, which looked very much like a CVA Bobcat.
Someone told me that they originally paid $250 for a Stalker with a wood stock when it was brand new about 28 years ago in 1991.
While the plastic stocked Bobcat cost as little as $69-$99 from Walmart.
The Bobcats with the wood stock did cost more and I believe were made in different calibers.

The CVA Stalker:

Stalker.JPG
stalker 2.jpg
stalker 3.jpg

The CVA Mountain Stalker also often called a Bobcat because of the strong resemblance.
The wood model was clearly marked Mountain Stalker on the barrel. However, the plastic stocked Bobcat may have also been called a Mountain Stalker but I'm not totally sure why.
It shows up in Google Images often enough to lead one to think that indeed, the plastic Mountain Stalker did resemble the Bobcat, but perhaps the names may have been different based on which store was selling them?

mountain stalker 3.jpg

mountain stalker 5.jpg

mountain stalker 2.jpg

Last edited:
To throw another monkey wrench into the works, the photo of the black rifle in the original post may actually be a CVA Panther or Panther Carbine.
Made in both .50 & .54 caliber, with a black wood stock and a fast twist barrel for shooting CVA Buckslayer bullets as well as PRB's.
The .54 carbine [bottom photo] had a 24" barrel and 1 in 32" twist.

panther-a.jpg

View attachment 6797
panther 2.jpg

Back