• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil war guns from garage sale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an amazing find all the way around….. neat that you chose to keep it all together. Any idea of dates on the plates…. Just curious how old these goodies are.

Wow!! First I've seen of this thread!!!

Funny how if "I" have worked on several original Colts and explain the arbor fit on them, it gets a "back seat". But a somewhat "fortuitous circumstance" arises to answer the question and the same answer brings no comment anywhere in the several threads it is talked/ questioned about?

My my . . .

Mike

That sure would be a good example of an original Colt to measure the arbor length vs. hole depth. M. DeLand had asked about it, but it didn't get answered. Maybe it still will be, I hope so.

That sure would be a good example of an original Colt to measure the arbor length vs. hole depth. M. DeLand had asked about it, but it didn't get answered. Maybe it still will be, I hope so.

I believe the answer was "the fit is fantastic".

Funny how if someone has worked on originals and confirms the design, it's still in question . . . 🤔 what's the implication ?

Mike

You're right, he did say the fit is fantastic, I forgot about that. Not sure what that would mean though.
No particular implication, -- more evidence is always a good thing though. Like Mr. Reagan said "trust but verify".

it's fantastic verified ...

I use converted feeler gauge to verify arbor length on my guns and on this Colt (and every 1st gen black powder Colt in my possession) spacing is perfect. Uberties usually terrible, Piettas a little batter, early italians ASM etc hit or miss

Received info today on the Colt it was issued in 1863 to Co. H - 11th NY Vol Cav
OK, now, can you find a connection between this regiment and how it ended up in the secret drawer?
Who was in the regiment that lived in the vicinity of the garage sale?
I wonder if there are regimental records showing the SNs of pistols given to cavalrymen.
This is worthy of a book, or at least a nice write-up here on the forum.
Good luck with your research!

OK, now, can you find a connection between this regiment and how it ended up in the secret drawer?
Who was in the regiment that lived in the vicinity of the garage sale?
I wonder if there are regimental records showing the SNs of pistols given to cavalrymen.
This is worthy of a book, or at least a nice write-up here on the forum.
Good luck with your research!
yes I will try to further investigate this revolver but Co. H - 11th NY Vol Cav was mostly drafted from area where I currently live ... small world

I'm having trouble believing this. I'm voting fiction. Good fiction, but fiction.
you want to vote fiction participate in elections ...
this is not believe it or not contest. I shared my story and if you post here to call man a liar oh well there's always one guy like you on every forum

Was able to find info on the military acceptance marks on the Colt. Left grip cartouche HBJ - inspector H.B. Johnson serial # range 135590-145352 and sub inspector on the right grip is JT - John Taylor range 11654-143846

This Colt is serial # 140595 if anybody got access to Springfield Research serial #, can you please look it up for me? Maybe we would be able to locate a solder.

Latest posts

Back