• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chukar anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday I went across the Big Horns to hunt chukar. On top of mountains saw 2 bull moose, many rabbits and pine squirrels. Saw lots of turkey and mule deer on the west side of mountains. Got to my hunting spot and it had warmed up. Thawing the ice and making the road to slippery to go on. So had to walk in the last mile to where the hunting is what I thought the best.

Now this is some tough country. I walked from 0930 hrs to 1300 hrs. and only saw about 20 birds in one covey, and boy are they goosey this late in the season. No shot..

Went back to the truck to eat lunch, and give the dogs a break.
Headed out the other direction and within 10 mins. had the first covey up, alittle to far for the 16 ga. JC Grubb percussion SXS. In a half hour more, I saw close to a hundred birds, lots of points but no shots, to far. While coming back to the truck the dogs were over the bank on my right locked up. As I walked in the covey flushed to my left, and I got a double. It was a long and tiring day. Even the dogs just slept on the long ride home. But what a good day 2 birds with a smoke pole, lots of great scenery and good exercise.

This is a JC GRUBB 16 ga. dbl.. Has some of the prettiest patterned Damascus on the bbls of any gun I've seen. Has sterling thumb piece, cap box in the heel, and a lot of platinum inlays.

I will have to admit that this late in the season you could use a gun that would reach out a little farther than a smokepole but I did make meat.

Jerry

Congratulations Jerry, well done! You live in some beautiful country. I have never seen a Chukar, they are scarce here in Tennessee and where I grew up in Indiana. Other than Ring Neck Pheasants, the most exotic bird I have shot at are Hungarian Partridge, a/k/a Huns or Gray Partridge, the operative word is "at", they fly fast..........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
I only went chukar hunting one time years ago in Selah Canyon near Yakima, Washington. Never again.

The steep canyon walls and the birds constantly laughing at us and the dogs was enough for a lifetime. I did manage to shoot a male sage grouse down in the flats, however, so it wasn't a total waste of a day.

:thumbsup: Nice going Chucker are a blast, man do they run fast LOL

I saw my 1st LIVE moose over the weekend (3 bulls together at 263 yards, then singles, mostly cows)7 total over 4 days in Wyoming. We have them on the Grand Mesa right here in my county :idunno: but danged if I've ever seen one.

Well done nice birds and a nice looking gun. You live and hunt in beautiful country. :thumbsup:

My Mom & Dad's favorite place was the Bighorn Mountains. They'd go in with their 5th wheel and set up on BLM land and stay for weeks at a time, just hiking the mountains.

Great hunt and I love the pics. Thanks for sharing. We could all use guns that reach out a lot further, but then what fun would that be? :wink: :grin:

Patocazador said:
I only went chukar hunting one time years ago in Selah Canyon near Yakima, Washington. Never again.

The steep canyon walls and the birds constantly laughing at us and the dogs was enough for a lifetime. I did manage to shoot a male sage grouse down in the flats, however, so it wasn't a total waste of a day.

You know the old saying. "You hunt them the first time for fun, The second time for revenge."
Jerry

Now That's living..Great effort!!!
Thank God for good hunting dogs!
Love the pictures..Carry On

A ways downstream of Selah and a bit easier going

ChukarwithMuzzleloader1-15-12.jpg

Back