• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Choosing a muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting another muzzleloader, I currently only have a percussion double barrel and I’m wanting a rifle. With that said my gunbuilding skills are not very good, I’ve built a kit gun in the past but had a lot of help from a career builder. I’ve been looking at the guns from Kibler, a Baker rifle from The Rifle Shoppe, as well as an 1841 Mississippi rifle and a 1853 Enfield (reproductions). I’m not partial to either flint or percussion lock. What do y’all recommend, I’ll use this gun for hunting and target shooting

I’m thinking about getting another muzzleloader, I currently only have a percussion double barrel and I’m wanting a rifle. With that said my gunbuilding skills are not very good, I’ve built a kit gun in the past but had a lot of help from a career builder.

So you seem partial to shorter rifles but full stocked? Though you did mention Kibler.

If you don't have help from your builder buddy..., forget anything from The Rifle Shoppe. Those are parts that need a lot of building to complete.

A Kibler is a good choice, but you again may need help, but you can contact him and find out how much more cost for finishing the rifle "in-the-white". This is a fully fitted rifle, but you have to finish sanding and staining the wood, and you need to polish and finish the metal.

On the other hand, if you can find them in stock, a Cabela's Blue Ridge Hunter rifle in flint or percussion will work fine, and so will a shorter Lyman trade rifle or Great Plains rifle. Either one in .50 or .54 will work fine, and they are finished and ready to go right out of the box.

A Springfield rifle kit from Traditions in .58 might suit you.

A shorter 1863 Zouave from Traditions in .58 is also a possibility

Even shorter still would be a Pedersoli Jaeger in a kit, either percussion or flint. It's finished with all but the wood, but finding one in stock is a problem. It's a problem for everything.

LD

After watching Jim’s videos on building his rifles I figured with the little skill I have I could probably manage to build one. I’m leaning towards a southern mountain rifle, the .45 would be plenty for the small Tennessee deer we have here, but I do like having a 54 or 58 for hogs…

Are you interested in a certain period of time in history. Pick what gun YOU find most appealing. What are you going to use it for then pick accordingly.

Back