• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cheap unbreakable ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longfowler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a very simple way to make your own inexpensive & durable replacement ramrods. I get a 3 foot piece 3/8 diameter brake line tubing - I like the heavy wall stuff that's anodized to resist rust, it's color blends in with the gun better than the plain steel would. all you have to do is cut one end to length with a tubing cutter and ~viola!~ you're done! I put one on my deer rifle last year, & I've used one of these on another gun for about 3 months now with no problem. My only concern is long term barrel wear, but this materiel seems softer than gun steel so I think if I'm careful, it won't do any damage. the best part of this deal? they cost about 7 bucks down at the auto parts store, vs. $20 for those aluminum or fiberglass ones. And they come in any lenght up to 6 feet. they may not be PC but sure are funtional!

002-3.jpg

001-4.jpg

Any rod will wear a barrel. It's the material that gets imbedded in the rod that does it. I prefer wood. I've never seen a good reason to use anything else.

Your idea seems like a good one.

Softer doesn't much matter. Water is softer than rock, but look at the grand canyon. The secret is to keep it from rubbing the barrel at all. I use one of those muzzle guide thingies anytime I put a rod down the bore. Cheap insurance.

Plink said:
Softer doesn't much matter. Water is softer than rock, but look at the grand canyon.

It's not the water, but rather the aggregate (sand) in the water. :wink:

longfowler said:
My only concern is long term barrel wear, but this materiel seems softer than gun steel so I think if I'm careful, it won't do any damage.

IMO you really, really need to get a muzzle guide...that steel can be as clean as a whistle and it will wear the crown in no time.

My shoot through arrow rests had a pair of steel support arms...after no more than a couple hundred shots with squeaky clean mirror smooth Easton aluminum shafts that never touched the ground to pick up dirt, you could start to see wear spots on the rest arms. Inexpensive replacable / disposable slip on nylon sleeves are made to protect the steel arms, which I'd replace yearly for a buck or so.

Builders Supply carries nylon muzzle guides...they're cheap, weigh nothing, and make no noise...I even carry one on the jag in my pocket when I'm hunting.

IMO the muzzle guides are more trouble than they are worth. They might be ok for cleaning.

A stout hunting arrow also makes a good ramrod. The inserts have the same threading as common jags, pullers etc. Pin the insert just in case.

Carl Davis said:
Plink said:
Softer doesn't much matter. Water is softer than rock, but look at the grand canyon.

It's not the water, but rather the aggregate (sand) in the water. :wink:

Agreed. That wasn't a good example and I thought about that after I posted it, but there are other examples out there. Such as the diamond wheels used to cut softer items such as metal or rock. While they cut very well, they also wear, dull and need replaced.

You can test this by rubbing something softer like brass or aluminum against something harder like steel. The softer metal will wear quicker than the harder metal, but the harder metal WILL wear. Try rubbing the corners of a couple square pieces together and you can see the wear in a matter of minutes. I tried it with a brass bar and a steel bar and I've used muzzle protectors ever since.

Grit embedded in a rod will cause the crown to wear faster than a clean rod will, but the rod itself, no matter how clean, or what material it's made of, will wear at the crown sooner or later. That's why a muzzle protector is important.

Depends on the rock. Caves are sometimes dissolved into existance from the acids in the water.

But in more than 30 years of m/l I've never broken a rammer that came with a rifle or gun. You guys push too hard or you're not choking up on them properly if you're snapping them.

nice idea.

i use old 410 brass empty for ROD GUIDE in my .50 cal.

anyone have homemade bore guides ,always interested in new idea now and then.

anyone have homemade bore guides ,always interested in new idea now and then.

Dutch Schoultz recommends a plain old brass flare nut of the appropriate size to fit your ramrod. They are cheap and readily available at the hardware store. I tried one and it works well. I carry it as a spare in my shooting box. :thumbsup:

Plink said:
Softer doesn't much matter. Water is softer than rock,

If you think water is softer than rock, you should check out the water in my county! Liquid rock, plain and simple.

thats great idea.

my .410 shotgun brass with the primer gone works good but it will not stay in muzzle of bore and keeps coming out.

that flared brass nut,will check that out at lowes.

i assume thats just nut that has flare on it.

oh yea, i broke 3 over 40 years and never went back to wood.

i agree tho, its how you handle it most likely but in cold with tight patch and bore butter back then, man watch out, its going to explode :surrender:

that flared brass nut,will check that out at lowes.

i assume thats just nut that has flare on it.

Sproulman, the nut does indeed have an external taper to it which will fit part way into your muzzle.

It is called a flare nut because it is part of a specific type of tube connection in which the end of the tubing (copper tubing for example) is spread out or "flared" to mate with a projection on a connecting fitting, usually made of brass. The tube is secured to the fitting with the "flare nut". You needn't buy the entire fitting, just the flare nut itself.

Note: you might see two types of flare nuts for sale, a "long taper" and a "short taper". They both perform the same function but you might have better luck using the long taper nut as a muzzle protector, though either one should work.

Good luck.

sproulman said:
...in cold with tight patch and bore butter back then, man watch out, its going to explode :surrender:

It never gets that cold here...thank God. :grin:

you would not believe times i wish i lived in fl, not this cold of pa.

it was AWFUL this winter here and worst deer season in 47 years for me. :surrender:

Back