• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charging a G.B. mortar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before. I could not find anything. It's about placing a powder charge into a golf bore mortar.
I have two G.B. mortars. I have never used them. One is a commercial product. The other I made from DOM tubing based on a design by DD over at the cannon/mortar site at Graybeard Outdoors; it's called the K.I.S.S. mortar.
Question: Do you wrap the powder charge in a small tin foil packet and place it into the breech? Or do you just add the powder loose to the chamber?
At mortar competitions, I've watched the larger mortars get loaded with a packet and then picked and the fuse inserted. Is it the same for these small 40 or so grain charges?
Pete

Thank you. I was thinking that about 40grs. would work pretty well from what I have read.
I meant to write golf "ball" in my previous post....way too early to have been writing.
Pete

I'm flattered you would copy my Mortar. It's a simple and good shooting design. To load just drop the powder loose in the powder chamber and add the golf ball.

The load for shooting the 30 yard golf ball course was 24 grs of FG. You load more than that and it won't go in the powder chamber and spills out onto the ball seat. But worse than that when you fire you never see the ball again and quickly become bored with the whole deal.

Douglas: Nice to hear from you. (Darkgael here) Welcome back from SA. Yes, I copied the plans from Greybeard Outdoors. I did all the machining around the time you left for SA. That was about as much as that little lathe could handle. Then the parts sat until just recently when I finally put everything together. I probably should post a pic but yours are better than what my little cellphone camera will do.
The M-H that you saved is has remained clear of lead plugs.
The mortar comp. that I referred to was that rainy trip with you and yours down to Winchester.
Pete

Pete

Still in SA and will be for a few more months.

We did have a good time over at Ft. Shenandoah didn't we. Rain meant nothing.

Headed hopefully to Montana in March to retire in December 2008.

I thought that you were home in Big Sky country already.
Great to hear from you. I'd post pics of the mortar but it looks just like yours.
Pete

Post pictures of your mortar Pete. I know what it looks like, but other here might not.

By the way one of the things I plan to do is get a mould to cast 1.68 in golf ball size zinc balls for shooting in these things.

Latest posts

Back