• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Changing from Pyrodex to Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

house

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 54 caliber T/C Hawkin and have been shooting 80 grains of pyrodex through it. I recently ordered a case of FFF Goex and wondering what difference in grains I should use. Any help is appreciated. I shoot a 539 PRB through it.

You won't know exactly what changes to make until you have burned enough black powder to know what it is doing for you. I suspect that you may end up increasing your powder charge to 85 to 90 grains. Only some range time will give you the exact change that will give you ballistics the same as or very similar to what you are getting with the substitute powder.

:idunno: I'm guessing he'll need to drop the charge 5-10 grns. :haha:

As said it's all about another load development stage, no big deal just shoot it in grn increments until you find the charge that works.

Your going to see the barrel foul differently, not necessarily good or bad per say, it'll just be different than the Pyrodex. Your lube will be the variable with that change and you may want to experiment with that too..

In short, you can't expect many things to be the same at all.

Pyrodex is a little bit hotter than black powder. That being the case, it will take just a tad bit more black powder to equal a given charge of Pyrodex. At least several years back when I last used any of the substitutes, they were slightly hotter than black powder. Since I no longer use substitutes, they may have changed since I last used them. :idunno:

You will have to find the sweet spot for your rifle with the powder your using. In a 54 most including me use 2F. The rifle should start grouping at 1 1/2 bore size. Your 80 grain load will be in the ball park!

Geo. T.

I use the same measure for both Pyrodex and black powder in both revolvers and rifles, and perceive no actual difference in performance.

I've even used 50 gr Pyrodex RS in my .54 flintlock, with a kicker of 25 gr. 3F Goex poured down the bore first. Never a misfire, either.

For me, accuracy is equivalent, whether 75 gr 3F Goex or 75 gr. Pyrodex RS.

Keep in mind, both are measured and dispensed by volume and not by weight.

AZbpBurner said:
I use the same measure for both Pyrodex and black powder in both revolvers and rifles, and perceive no actual difference in performance.

Agree, I shoot Goex FFF, Pyrodex P when I can't get Goex and on rare occasion Pyrodex RS (last resort).

I use the fixed powder measures so my 40 cal gets 60 and my 50 gets 70 or 75 (ball or PA conical).

Mind you, not target shooting for score, but whether it's real or Pyro they all come in within a couple of inches at 50 yards - more than accurate enough for Bambi without reworking the load....

AZbpBurner said:

Same here. I dinked around working out "best" charges for particular guns with both, and if there's a difference my shooting is not good enough to sniff it out. I just use the same measure for both (Pyro RS and Goex 2f, or Pyro P and Goex 3f) and don't sweat it. The guns don't seem to know.

When I was using Pyrodex I shot 100grs of RS in my .50 but since going to just black powder I use 90grs 2F. For me in this gun it took less of Goex black powder. Just start about 15grs below what you are using now and increase to the amount of Pyrodex and see if there is any difference. Dan.

What granulation of Pyrodex? If it is P, you'll likely use about the same volume of 3Fg, but naturally, you will have to play around a bit to see if the accuracy load is different. If you have been shooting RS, then I'd recommend starting around 55-60gr and working up 'til you find your accuracy load.

Regards,
Joel

I’ll second that!
I shot Pyrodex P for years in my squirrel gun and when I switched to Goex 3fff I changed nothing and the squirrels heads couldn’t tell the difference.
You will probably notice cleaning and reloading differences though.

I'm using RS, but a local gun dealer told me to try 3 F if I bought black powder.

azmntman said:
Ive done that too but being cheap I use only 10 gr BP and 60 pyrodex, no ignition issues.

Cheap is good.

Next time out, I'll try the 10 Gr. BP kicker load.

Currently, I first pour the Pyrodex into the measure, and top it off with BP, then just dump it all down the bore. They both seem to keep separated enough to not affect ignition any.

Back