• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Changed My Nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I emailed VTI Gun Parts are ordered (6) Nipples for my Uberti Walker. Although the threads are the same, they don't go all of the way up to the flat sides that the nipple wrench attaches to. But this doesn't matter as the height is the same at the end of the day.

So I took the revolver out to the Range, along with some various caps (#10's & #11's) and found that all I need to do is to pinch my regular Remington #10's a little and they stay on tight and only one hammer strike does the BANG! I would have shot the revolver yesterday, except that a fellow NRA Instructor needed some help teaching a student how to shoot a shotgun. So I donated some time to help the guy out.

Can't wait to go BANG and measure the size of the group! The orifices on the brand new nipples are significantly smaller and of course uniform, so I'm looking forward to a vast improvement since the last time I had the Walker in a competition. In the past I've hit torso-sized novelty targets out to 135 yards with the Walker :shocked2: , so I want to give that a try again too.

Will report back when the testing is conducted.........

Dave

I'm sorry to hear you did that, the nipples you got from VTI are just more of the same Italian manure you started with, only newer. If you have to pinch caps to stay on the nipple then they don't fit and you are risking a chainfire. I wish you had gotten the Ampco/Tresco brand nipples which are a proper fit for #11 CCI caps. :shake:

I can always buy the nipples that you're talking about, and keep the ones I'm using now as the spares, so send me the link to where I can mail-order them. And do these nipples come in #10 size? I bought close to 1K #10's last time I bought revolver caps, since they all take the #10's from Remington.

Dave

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...atId=1&subId=9&styleId=984&PageSize=25&Page=3
It would seem to be the number RST-WA but you might just call and ask the folks at Track, they will know for sure.
Sorry but the Ampco nipples take #11 caps, at least in the CCI brand, but cap size does vary among the different brands. I too once stocked up on #10's because a couple of revolvers took that size while all of my other guns took #11's. That's the main reason I replaced all of my nipples with Ampco, I got tired of arriving at the range only to find the caps I had that day didn't fit the gun I had that day. I still have a couple of tins of #10 caps but I leave them in a drawer in my shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the bronze Ampco nipples from Track. I already have lots of #11 caps (for the rifles). I can't wait to get every shot back in the black again at 25 yards.

Thanks for the help and the link!

Dave

The AMPCO bronze nipples are the best way to go. #11 caps fit properly, the flash hole is smaller than the Italian versions, plus the AMPCO seem to take the battering of the hammer better. They are spendy, around $5 to $6 each, but very well worth it. ToTW, Dixie, and others have them.

The stock nipples that come with Pietta, and even Uberti, don't have either consistent diameters or tapers, so some nipples will need a #10, the one next to it a #11. And as others here have noted, percussion caps vary from tin-to-tin and lot-to-lot, and among manufacturers

AMPCO's are sort of bright and flashy when new, but with a few firings they darken. They are the best investment you can make in your replica C&B revolver.

Wet Willie said:
The AMPCO bronze nipples are the best way to go. #11 caps fit properly, the flash hole is smaller than the Italian versions, plus the AMPCO seem to take the battering of the hammer better. They are spendy, around $5 to $6 each, but very well worth it. ToTW, Dixie, and others have them.

The stock nipples that come with Pietta, and even Uberti, don't have either consistent diameters or tapers, so some nipples will need a #10, the one next to it a #11. And as others here have noted, percussion caps vary from tin-to-tin and lot-to-lot, and among manufacturers

AMPCO's are sort of bright and flashy when new, but with a few firings they darken. They are the best investment you can make in your replica C&B revolver.
I agree. :thumbsup:

O-K,

I guess that I'll try all of the caps I have to see just what works best! Remington #10's, Remmy #11's, and CCI Magnum #11's.

Thanks!

Dave

New nipples translate into GREAT scores! Went from a shotgun pattern to putting three rounds through the same hole at 25 yards on Sunday, and I won the Match to boot! Shot a 91x100 on a B-19 Target, where the X-ring is the size of a quarter!

I feel like a new man again!

Dave

Latest posts

Back