• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

caution cost me a day's shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Friday night, I loaded the vehicle with the stuff for a day at the range. Saturday morning, we had torrential rains, and a couple of Tee storms. I thought, "OK, only a fool would stand in the middle of a pasture holding a steel tube..." so I unpacked the vehicle, and went about the day...about noon, too late to go to the range, it cleared. I still felt good about being cautious until this morning when the club V-P emailed me to ask where I was yesterday....now, am I chicken, or are my friends fools? Hank

I got a glancing blow from lightening once... nothing to fool around with and not fun. So if a bunch of people want to stand out in T-storms thats their problem :youcrazy: You will not find me there. :haha:

Lose a day's shooting or your life?

Your call. I think you done good :thumbsup:

When you're messin' with lightning, you've got to win everytime while it only has to win once. Tom

Roy said:
I got a glancing blow from lightening once... :haha:
:hmm: that explains alot!...but..this story reminds me of my dad and his good hunting friend Gordy, huntin about 3 miles from camp in a pouring thunderstorm...Gordy(who stuttered,bigtime!) said "Paul,I sure wish I was home awishin I was here!" :rotf: that always cracks me up!...anyway.. you made the right call..less gettin struck is a goal??? :thumbsup:

We had a quick moving storm here yesterday. I was sitting here and boom over head, blew my router. How the hell it only effected that I don't know but the modem was fine.

Swamp Rat said:
We had a quick moving storm here yesterday. I was sitting here and boom over head, blew my router. How the hell it only effected that I don't know but the modem was fine.
it was "roy lightnin" a glancing blow! :thumbsup:

I had one of those near-miss lightning strikes back when I was in my late teens. Will never forget it!

A buddy and I were on top of a Mississippi River levee pass shooting doves. There was a thunderstorm in the distance - maybe a half mile away. I glanced at my buddy and his hair was standing up on his head. I had just started to laugh when there was a small general kind of flash - but no real lightning strike or crack-boom. But my fingertips were slightly burned where they touched the metal on my Winchester Model 12. I never knew I could run that fast.

Good move. T-storms are not a forever thing they will pass. Caution is a good thing. Lighting nothing to mess around with.

I was in the garage once checking the oil in a car when a bolt of lightning hit a CB antenna on the hill behind the garage. The co-ax cable from the antenna crossed a conduit feeding power in the garage. The surge blew a hole in the co-ax insulation, arced through the conduit, went through the fuse box and blew all the lights out in the garage except for the trouble light in my hand. I guess I grounded it. It reduced me to a slobbering, shaking, crying idiot who couldn't put two words together for over an hour. Things haven't changed that much since.

Another time, we were doing a "tactical", sort of a wargame, in my CW reenacting unit on top of South Mountain on the PA/MD border when we were hit by a sudden thunderstorm complete with hail. Imagine about 200 men totin' muskets in the middle of this. As soon as we could, we hunkered down in the closest defile and laid our muskets down and sat apart from them as best we could. I had read of balls of lightning rolling along the tops of shouldered muskets before, so therefore you could say I along with some others were nervous Nellies. Our caution was our undoing because we fired off our loaded muskets before we grounded them. The yankee unit on the mountain did the same, but reloaded and attacked our position and overran it. We were being safe, but they were being idiots. Guess it pays off once in a while to be an idiot.

"only a fool would stand in the middle of a pasture holding a steel tube..."

When there is a T storm nearby, the above sums it up pretty well...other will, at times make poor choices and get away with it, this does not change the fact that their choices were poor ones.

Many years ago I pulled a little league team off the field. What was a bit awkward was the fact I was not a coach,or umpire, just a father. Several wanted to know who the a _ _ _ _ _ _ was but I stood fast. A little vindication came my way in that there was a very close (fortunately not not lethel strike) at a field near by.
Some things don't give you a second chance. I bet you're a careful gun handler, too. I'd rather go shooting or hunting with you than your buddies!

Sirjohn

They say if you can hear thunder,even distant, the air is charged up enough where you are for lightning.

Many years ago , I was out in Long Island Sound in my boat,. Sky was overcast, but nothing out of the ordinary. I heard a hissing noise and I thought I had an air leak in one of my fuel lines.
It was a graphite fishing rod in one of the rod holders that was charged up and hissing.
I pulled anchor and got out in a hurry and within minutes of getting in my harbor, the sky let loose.
Lightning is something that should not be challenged.

RC said:
Swamp Rat said:
Na.. if it was Roy lightnin it would come through the water lines and you would have a blue arch that surrounds your ankles like when you throw white gas on a camp fire...

then there are some choice words that the neighbors can hear after you collect yourself from across the room. :haha:

Roy said:
RC said:
Swamp Rat said:
Na.. if it was Roy lightnin it would come through the water lines and you would have a blue arch that surrounds your ankles like when you throw white gas on a camp fire...

then there are some choice words that the neighbors can hear after you collect yourself from across the room. :haha:
AND you describe that as a Glancing BLOW?? dang you is tough! :shocked2: :blah:

Hank, you are the one with common sense. As others have said, the thunderstorm doesn't have to be close...several years ago we were asleep while a nasty thunderstorm was passing through. We heard the lessening rain and the thunder gradually fading away in the distance. All of a sudden there was the sharpest crack of thunder, lightning had struck one of our huge Spruce trees about 30 feet from the house. I think the imprint of our bodies may still be on the ceiling....

Went out this morning in the rain although it was not lightning just light rain and the range has a nice roof over the shooting area. Had the range all to my self for almost the whole day...Priceless.

Best not to challenge mother nature. Especially with a lightning rod in your hands. Ma Nature can be a real b---h.

One day in Kansas, a big storm blew in real fast. I realized the windows were down on my truck and decided to run out and close them. Just as I stepped off the front porch, a bolt struck the tree in the back yard. Nuff to frizzle the hair on the back of my neck and make me decide to leave the dang windows down! :shocked2:

I was a member of the SCA (a group that "does" 600 to 1600 AD). My thing was Heavy Weapons Combat. We wore armor, steel helmets, chain mail etc. and beat on each other with rattan "swords". You want to see a field clear in a hurry? Just hint about lightning at one of their events. :grin:

Back