• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cause of My TC New Englander Misfires

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have New Englander with the shorter barrel i seldom fire. Rifle has been a loaner for years.

Recently at the range the rifle had misfires. It would fire when powder was worked in under the nipple. After cleaning the rifle i noticed a soft sound when the ramrod was dropped into the barrel. Thinking there was a patch in the patent breech chamber, i assembled the patch puller. It required heavy pressure on the rod to engage the thing. Finally pulled out a thin piece of plastic. There was something else down there, after awhile i pulled out the rest of the sabot.

Don't know when or how it got there. A friend killed a deer with the rifle in gun season.

OVBUEhWm.jpg

i have New Englander with the shorter barrel i seldom fire. Rifle has been a loaner for years.

Recently at the range the rifle had misfires. It would fire when powder was worked in under the nipple. After cleaning the rifle i noticed a soft sound when the ramrod was dropped into the barrel. Thinking there was a patch in the patent breech chamber, i assembled the patch puller. It required heavy pressure on the rod to engage the thing. Finally pulled out a thin piece of plastic. There was something else down there, after awhile i pulled out the rest of the sabot.

Don't know when or how it got there. A friend killed a deer with the rifle in gun season.

OVBUEhWm.jpg
Reason number 124 I seldom lend firearms… ;-) crazy. It’s hard to imagine how a person could make the rifle fire with that much blockage. I wonder if your friend tried to load after killing his deer, dry balled, and managed to get the bullet out but not the sabot?

only thing i won't loan is my wife. every thing else i figure if it don't come back i have something else to take its place. and i probably won't remember i loaned it anyway. if it comes back its like christmas.

i hate sabot's. have had them separate and jam on loading. never use them anymore.

Years ago a friend wanted to borrow my freshly seasoned TC 58 big board to shoot a Red Stag at a ranch in Texas. He never saw the stag so he left my rifle there for a couple months, he finally got the stag and presented me with a rusty ill treated rifle, needless to say I was made, he bought me a new one to make it right. I learned my lesson.

only thing i won't loan is my wife. every thing else i figure if it don't come back i have something else to take its place. and i probably won't remember i loaned it anyway. if it comes back its like christmas.

i hate sabot's. have had them separate and jam on loading. never use them anymore.
I used patched 45-70 bullets a few times. They work pretty well that way, but the recoil is nasty with 70gr. or so in a hawken.

Latest posts

Back