• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carriage wheel camber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the bottom most spoke should be vertical, so axle tilt depends on how strongly the wheel is dished :thumbsup:

Thanks SR. Ironically I didnt even think about the camber from the front/back view.... :bow:

Ive seen these cannons has a bit of a tilt (tilted in towards the back) when viewed from the top as well to minimise the effect of the gun running backwards during recoil. Anyone know about this or is it an optical illusion?

The bottom spoke should be vertical with no toe in or toe out. The dish is about 1.5-2 degrees.

Titus said:
Anyone know about this or is it an optical illusion?

Like bad tracking on a car? Haven't seen that. I think they have to be set square to the main axle bar or they wouldn't arrive in time for the battle :grin:

Hopefully my axle boxes are being cast this week, fairly soon I will understand the problems when it all goes horrible wrong. My wheels are dished about 12 degrees but that's the 17th century for you :thumbsup:

"I will understand the problems when it all goes horrible wrong." Jeez - lucky you - I can't understand the problems when it goes horribly right!!

I was wondering about the effectiveness of wheels cambered like that... :rotf: :youcrazy:

my illustrations came to a dish of exactly 10 degrees. Didnt know if it'll be to much or too little on a Napoleon III type, but it looks cool to me. :haha:

Latest posts

Back