• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caplock important to an avid hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the same experience as asmntman. The only mis-fires I've had with a caplock have been when target shooting and swabbing every shot. After 6-10 shots I end up pushing fouling down into the channel and have to remove the nipple and add some powder to get her to go. I don't pop a cap before loading on a clean barrel, just don't see the need when I clean with the plunger method.

The only time I ever had ignition problems with a caplock was when I used to use Bore Butter as a bore preserver and would wipe the bore regularly with a greased patch. Unknown to me, I would build up an obstruction with grease at the nipple thinking my gun was "clean". After I dropped the "season your barrel" routine, I switched to a light gun oil after cleaning and never had another ignition problem. For the oil, you just keep a small squeeze bottle of alcohol in your bag. Wet a patch and swab once quick before loading to get the oil out. No problems.

I would get both and use the cap gun only when the weather is really bad. The success of the hunt would be primary and the degree of primitive shooting second, IMO. Nostalgia is great weather permitting. We only have so many hunts in us. More guns is better anyway!

Back