• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can someone tell me what I am looking at when I video'd my GPR bore? from bottom to top.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you have a patent breech on your rifle like my Lyman Trade rifle. In my manual it suggests using a 38 caliber brass cleaning brush to get into that small channel to clean it. One word of caution though is to make sure your cleaning rod has the tip pinned on besides being glued on so the brush doesn't get stuck. The first push is a little tight but after that the brush conforms to the breech size but still cleans it. Push the brush in and rotate it and it does a great job. As far as the rest of the bore maybe some valve polish? Others on here will be able to help more with that. It looks like your patent breech is pretty dirty. One thing you didn't mention is if your rifle is flint or percussion.

I believe you have a patent breech on your rifle like my Lyman Trade rifle. In my manual it suggests using a 38 caliber brass cleaning brush to get into that small channel to clean it. One word of caution though is to make sure your cleaning rod has the tip pinned on besides being glued on so the brush doesn't get stuck. The first push is a little tight but after that the brush conforms to the breech size but still cleans it. Push the brush in and rotate it and it does a great job. As far as the rest of the bore maybe some valve polish? Others on here will be able to help more with that. It looks like your patent breech is pretty dirty. One thing you didn't mention is if your rifle is flint or percussion.
Flintlock. I will use a mirror on the endoscope to show the sides (I hope).

At 0:15 it appears a small shard of steel has pulled up. It may be a thread from the cleaning patch caught on something. Do you have tight spots while loading?

6C7D3D98-C259-4BF0-97D0-A186E1AD50C2.jpeg

Just dust and oil droplets, no pitting, I was surprised when I got my Teslong bore scope and saw the same thing right after I cleaned one of my guns. I looked at all my other guns and saw the same thing, a sideways view tells all.

Here is a sideways view of a bore with all of the scary looking stuff shown in the picture above. a Teslong scope will drive you nuts with all of the stuff it picks up.

Sideways;

haines after scrub.jpg

I would suggest that the patent breech needs a water flush first and then a ~.25 cal brush with a patch wrapped around to clean it up. After that is done and the water is dried up do a degreasing with brake cleaner, cleaning with evapo-rust, cleanup with an oil soaked 0000 steel wool on a tight patch and then a final polish with some JB bore polish.
None of this will harm the barrel and it will be as clean as you can possibly get it. If there’s pitting in the barrel it won’t take it out but it will smooth up the surface to prevent patch cutting and ease the loading of the barrel.
Smoke

Here is an example, I just took the pictures . This is a TC barrel, straight on it looks like a rusty mess, TC rifling is pretty rough with a lot of tool marks. This is a pristine kit gun barrel that may have been shot 10 times, I put the kit together a year or so ago.

tc bore.jpg

A side view shows the roughness but none of the rusty red.
tc hawkens side.jpg

Last edited:
At 0:15 it appears a small shard of steel has pulled up. It may be a thread from the cleaning patch caught on something. Do you have tight spots while loading?

View attachment 123508
Yes. After 3 shots, I hit a tight spot about 1/4 down and 1/2 down. The bottom seems to be roomy. After one lube patch, I get 3 more shots before tightness affects the load.

here's a side view video

that is not very clear. I have a "nidage" endoscope.that I just got. I used various resolutions. Just couldn't get a clear video. I think I need a better quality endoscope.

The scope technology and approach is a poor and distracting substitute for old skool evaluations.
1) Does it load smoothly when clean?
2) Are patches intact?
3) Can you find an accurate load?

The appearance does not matter as much as function. What if you get it all shiny and it’s an inaccurate barrel?

Back