• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone ID this rifle barrel marked "L. ARNOLD. 1868"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosier122

Pilgrim
Reaction score
This came from a relative who was from southwest Indiana on the Ohio River. He recently died. His grandfather emigrated from the German/French Rheinland area. Yes I know the bayonet doesn't go with the rifle, but any information about it would be appreciated as well. I've never handled old muzzle loaders, so I'm way out of my league.

I'm hoping for some better responses than "It's an AK-47" like I got on AR15 (good website, I just made the mistake of posting in the General Forum).

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

The lock may possible be in one of two barns and my girlfriend's grandfather was whittling a new stock (not pictured). It was about 80% done before he passed - leading me to believe the lock is in one of the barns.

The bayonet's blade is approximately 15" long and 1" at its widest point with no noticeable markings. It would fit on a gun with a 1" outside barrel diameter.

The muzzle loaded rifle (yes it is rifled) is 41" from the tip of the barrel to the "back" of the barrel. It's stamped with "L. ARNOLD. 1868" between the rear sight and the back of the barrel. The diameter of the bore can snugly fit a 21/64" drill bit...leading me to believe it's .32-.40 cal. The outside of the barrel is octagonal.

Any help identifying the bayonet and especially rifle would be appreciated. I'm particularly interested in determining the caliber and where/who it was manufactured by. Then I could decide whether it should be reconditioned/totally refurbished or left as is.

I realize the bayonet is not your expertise, but the General Forum on AR.15 forum was not much help.

Someone on AR15 did post these photos, but didn't say what type of rifle it is:
Kentucky_Rifle_.50cal.Pedersoli_.JPG

S206b.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance (I hope I posted in the correct forum).
:idunno:

If you live in SE Indiana or close you can take it to the spring shoot (June) at the NMLRA range at Friendship.
You will get better info there, most likely, than here.
Look to http://www.nmlra.org/shoots.asp
for dates.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Those photos of the other rifles are modern factory rifles. They won't help you in any way. Deffinitely take a trip to Friendship, IN. There will be tons of help/expertise there to ID and get some background on your rifle.

A micrometer/caliper is the best way to measure the bore. You can mailorder one for around $30 if you don't have one or don't know someone who does.

You're probably not too far from guessing the bore. Rifles of tht period usually were in that range of calibers.

Back