• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Calculating group size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clyde, this is not directed at you, it is a general reply to the many posts responding to my original post.

In reading the replies, I think most folks understand where the value of both the CEP and the MMR lies. It requires a bit of work and calculation and, for those shooters who are not seeking maximum accuracy and are satisfied with keeping their shots within a 10 inch ring at 100 yards, it is just not worth the work. The man who shoots in matches will benefit from them as will the squirrel hunter who is looking for sufficient accuracy to make those head shots. And then there is the occasional nut like me who no longer is capable of shooting in matches nor tramping though the woods looking for Mr. Bushytail but just wants to make his rifle shoot to its maximum accuracy and enjoys tweaking the loads and massaging the numbers. It takes all kinds.

Where the value of the two methods lies is in developing loads that wring maximum accuracy from a rifle. What it does is it quantifies each group so that the man who is working up a load that gives him maximum accuracy is able to accurately compare each group. Each group has a numerical value that minimizes the effect of fliers and more accurately represents that group.

Both the MMR and the CEP are just tools that just provide a way of evaluating and comparing how well different loads work in a given rifle. It requires a level of measurement and calculation that is not for everyone and answers questions that not everyone may be asking. They are simply tools that are out there for those who need, or simply want, the kind of information that they provide.

I can tell you that if I shoot a "smoking hot" group and someone's watching; I pack up and go home. Gotta protect that hard earned (or lucky) reputation anyway you can.

I just shoot. When I hunt I just expect to get one shot. When sighting in I shoot three shot groups, adjusting sites till ones in the black THEN I start making sure I swab good, dry good, load consistent etc and shoot a five shot group while fine tuning. When Done I expect a 3" group at 90 yds for a gun I will hunt with.

I WISH I could be yer neighbor brown bear. Would love to hunt that much. Wont happen though....my sister moved to Fairbanks and that was almost far enough so I am dang sure not getting any closer :shocked2:

Back