• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cabiler for trade gun match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemoke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the smallest caliber for a trade gun match. at our club we have not had a limit on caliber.but we now have one person who would like to use a 50 caliber. but some members say nothing under 62cal. what do you guys think

+ 1 it is best to keep things under control right from the start 28 gauge and up .

We use mountain man rules for the Tradegun. You can use ball, buck and ball, buckshot, birdshot or anything else you can stuff down the barrel.

We have flying targets, knock downs and a variety of steel shapes.

Only rules are smoothbore, flintlock, no rear sight and a simple trigger.

A smaller bore loses out when shot becomes the preferred choice for a particular target.

What's the reasoning for restricting it to > 20ga? If they're trying to claim it's HC then :bull: .

Bill, That sounds like a really fun shoot! It gives the individual shooter the freedom to really utilize the versatility of his smoothbore. Beware the man with only one gun (he knows how to use it). :grin:

Gemoke said:
What is the smallest caliber for a trade gun match. at our club we have not had a limit on caliber.but we now have one person who would like to use a 50 caliber. but some members say nothing under 62cal. what do you guys think

This is subject to interpretation from one club to the next.
The thing to do is to come to your own consensus within your club, post the decision AND STICK TO IT.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

NMLRA rules are that smoothbores are to be 28 gauge or 54 caliber or larger. Smaller than 54 caliber has to compete with the rifles.

Smaller calibers are HC. There is a pamphlet out on the round ball dug up at Michelimackinac where the majority of the undamaged roundball were 54 caliber or smaller.

When we all started playing around with smoothbores about 30 years ago, the smallest caliber barrel we could get was 20 gauge. Times have changed and the hot dogs at Friendship shoot 54 Caliber/28 Gauge.

My wife has a 50 caliber smoothbore with rearsights that shoots real well.

Gemoke said:
That is really restrictive, like removing nearly 50% of the smoothbore pool. Why would anybody want to do that?

So, you ask "what do you guys think?" I think it stinks 'cause I wouldn't be abe to shoot with my 24 guage trade gun - which, by the way is very HC.

Gemoke said:
but some members say nothing under 62cal. what do you guys think

I think every club has some members that don’t like to lose. They will come up with any complaint to help them win.
I have seen guys get mad and storm off when beaten, like little children.
Even had one guy close the range when I got close to breaking the club record (his record)

thanks for all the input guys I think I`ll let the club sort this out. I`ll let them know what I heard from you guys and that I agree with what you all had to say.

Most likely these guys just don't have a clue about trade guns and their histories at all, they are running on passed on wrong imformation and should with all respect be corrected ASAP ,here is your chance to man up and set the record straight for the sake of the truth if for nothing else , you have been set straight by guys who collect originals ,build exacting reproductions of originals and those who use them :thumbsup:

Back