• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A local guy has this for sale:

.54 cal Cabelas black powder percussion rifle. Uses #11 caps, octagonal barrel, adjustable sights, walnut stock with brass trigger guards, adjustable double set triggers.

Does/did Pedersoli make all the muzzleloaders for Cabelas? Is there a way to tell? Seller simply said it only has Cabelas on it.

Thanks.
Martin

Older ones were made by Invest arms,I have 2 @ .54 and 2 @ .58. Great guns and Pedersoli will be better. If the rifle in good shape and the price is right go for it! (Mine have chrome lined barrel and clean up is the easiest of any guns I own). :thumbsup:

W/O pulling mine out I believe they have a big I stamped in the barrel as well. Go take a look.

i'd say it is a very good price (for you)!!
Good chance it's made by investarms which is the same company that makes the lymans.
$100.00 ain't much nowdays!! :wink:

He checked for me. It is made by Investarms. He found the I on the top of the barrel. I told him I would take assuming the gun is in decent shape. Thanks for the help. I will let you know if when I get it and how it is.

I have 2 Investarms Cabelas - marked percussion rifles. 1 is .54 and the other is .50 cal. The .50 is the nicer lookingof the two; the .54 cal has a big pit in the bore, about 1/2 inch down from the muzzle. Nevertheless, it is a tack driver and I see no benefit in ever replacing the barrel - it's THAT accurate.

First thing to do with yours will be completely disassemble, clean the bore with hot soapy water, dry out with WD-40, and mop it dowen with some Birchwood Casey Barricade. Clean up the lock and trigger assembly, and trreat pivit and wear points with any good quality gun oil.

Be sure to remove the nipple, and scrub it down inside with pipecleaner, or even one of those little interdental brushes that folks with dental bridges use to clean underneath with. Remove the cleanout screw, and scrub out with a pipecleaner. Use ball lube or the grease of your choice to lightly coat the threads of your nipple and cleanout screw to prevent them from seizing up.

A good starting load is 80 Gr. 3f Black Powder. An equivalent volume of Pyrodex RS works equaly well. I patch the .535"roundball TIGHTLY with a .018" patch. I use a wooden mallet to start the patched ball. If you buy prelubed patches, squeegee out excess lube from the patches with a putty knife. You'll get better round-to-round accuracy.

I receintly traded an investarms 58 cal. hawken for 500 dollars worth of repair work on my truck.
had to many guns.

can only shoot one at a time. got elk rifle, woods rifle 444 marlin, 72 cal trade musket, and various minor calibers for varmints. 4 and 2 legged types.

I always thought that it was when the weight of your gun safes exceeded the limit of your floors.

If the bore is decent then it's a steal at that price. This is essentially the Lyman Trade Rifle (also made by Investarms) except with double triggers instead of the single and I believe it will have a 1:48 twist rate.

I did buy the gun last nite. The bore was clean and the metal was not all rusted up. It is certainly not a safe queen, but still well worth a $100. Most of the 'cosmetic issues' were with the stock, which I may consider sanding down some and refinishing.

Any recommendations on what to use to fill the little holes from the brass tacks?

Hide glue (franklin's liquid hide glue will work ) mixed with sanding dust will finish the same as the rest of the wood. Many modern glues will "repel" oils and stains. :hmm: :hmm:

Back