• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

C&B registration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Jsut found an old posting on a different website forum that says cap and ball revolvers need to be registered in Michigan. Just wondering if this is the truth and if other states are like that

In the past cap & ball pistols were required to be registered in Michigan. This much I know to be fact as a native Michigander. In later years on vists back home I have heard it said that this was relaxed to the extent that if it was a wall hanger it did not have to be registered. But you d**n well better register it before loading it.

Well shut my mouth??? Registered? I didn't think there was any place in the United States where a gun had to be registered. How is that possible? Please explain??
Worried in Florida :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Why would it need to be registered? Only weapons made after 1898 need to be registered as they are using cartridge ammunition, which a cap and ball does not.
Now then, is the atf rescinding the made before 1898 law?

Now then, is the atf rescinding the made before 1898 law?

Individual states and municipalities can impose restrictions beyond those applied by the Federal Government, and many do.

Here in NJ the law requires that you get a permit to purchase for ANY hand gun. Yes, any hand gun includes Cap & Ball, Cartridge, and BB Pistol. The Permit to Purchase is also a registration form, and you must get a seperate permit for each hand gun you buy or trade for. The only way I know of that you can legally take possesion of a hand gun with out one is if you are willed one, and the wording of the will must be specific. Good news is the willed firearm does not have to registered, but keep a copy of the probated will handy just in case you need to prove how you got the gun. Don't think I am being paranoid, if you get robbed or house goes on fire, tree falls on roof, etc., cops Will ask questions, and lawyers are expensive.

Yep, I was told the same thing. If you want to shoot it, you'd better register it. I registered my two black powder pistols. However, I've never been asked to show a registration or to show my concealed pistol permit. To tell the truth, I spend more time hunting and fishing than most and haven't been asked to show a license in years and years. Most of Michigan has a strong hunting tradition and is reasonable about firearms. graybeard :m2c:

Sounds like England, if I want to shoot it, I have to register it. I've got one c&b registered, five not. I've never been asked to show a registration or a license :thumbsup:

Squire: It's undoubtedly that innocent look on your face that's protecting you.
979.jpg

Are you sure your not related to Beaver Cleaver? ::

In Missouri all we have to do is fill out the 4473 and take possession if bought from a dealer. If from an individual, exchange funds and firearm and the transaction is complete. No permit to purchase or registration required. I don't know if that includes St. Louis or Kansas City proper.

Many, many firearms that fall into the antique category, pre-1898, were cartridge firing. The ammunition required has nothing to do with the "antique & collectible" status. It's predicated entirely on date of manufacture. My double rifles are all cartridge firing, pre-1898 and all were ordered thru the mail and shipped directly to me. Also, as has already been stated, states, counties and municipalities can and do legislate their own requirements and definitions.

Vic

In North Carolina, I bought an 1860 Army from Basspro. I handed him the money, he handed me the gun, I walked out of store - as it should be.

Back