• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying a BP rifle on this site

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from AZ.

Per your avatar you should start at a min caliber of .54. The rest will be based on personal preference, marriage status (aka access to fun money), etc. Custom or Production? Flint or Percussion?

More info and we give ya more answers!
Why did you recommend a 54 caliber? I think we should know what his intended use for the muzzleloader before making any recommendations. Is it simply target shooting? Hunting squirrels? Hunting deer or other game? What ammunition budget does he have? If only target shooting a 32 might work. Does he intend to cast his own round balls? Many questions need answered before making any recommendations. --- Don't be biased due to your own personal preference.

No one has a Lyman GPH or a GPR anymore, since they've been discontinued. The only other I've seen was from Griz44mag who has passed (God rest his soul) but I don't believe he ever got his sold before he passed. The thread just stopped.
Apparently, you are dismissing the used gun market.

Welcome from upstate NY. If you are completely new to muzzleloading, you are likely going to get overloaded with information here.

As.suggested above, figuring a budget is a good place to start.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've bought several things from this forum, including a muzzleloader. All good transactions.

I won't buy from someone that doesn't have any forum posts. If they are a member less than a year and they never post inside the forums and seem to have only joined to sell I won't risk it.

I buy from engaged members who have invested their friendship into the forum. A fella who comes here on the regular and has formed bonds with the members here isn't likely to squander their reputation and friendships formed on this site for a few hundred bucks. Nothing will sour these old timers here more than finding out a member they called friend is a scammer.

I too have purchased a Finished Kibler SMR rifle from a gent on this site. The only bad thing about it I’ve been so preoccupied with shooting it that I can’t put it down long enough to work on the kits I purchased myself from Kibler! 😂 I had a smooth transaction.

Thanks for all the Welcoming's guys. Well I passed on the Great plains hunter rifle that Devildiver has up for sale. Mostly because I found a Great plains rifle in 54 cal. with the 1 in 60 in. twist that I was originally looking for to shoot round balls. Plus I got it for $100.00 less. Anybody looking for a Great plains hunter in 54 cal. with the 1 in 32 in. twist that's great for conicals, should check out the weapon devildiver has up for sale. Thanks again guys for the information and advice. I can't wait for my new toy to get here, so I can turn it into my new favorite tool. Keep yer powder dry, and yer nose into the wind.

Latest posts

Back