• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Butt Stitches and Drawstrings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Jas.

58 Cal.
Reaction score
This bag is based on one I designed a few years ago. The flap on this bag features a folksy, raised butt stitching design. On the front body are two drawstring pouchlets. Past the bound main entry, the roomy gusseted interior has two large, bound top pockets. The strap sports one of my handmade brass buckles meant to be worn "bandolier" style in front. The bag has received a series of light aging techniques that still preserves the integrity of the bag for use.

remove duplicate keywords

Very nice, very interesting.
You describe the art on the flap as "buttstitching" does this mean it is created by bringing more than one piece of leather together, edges of them cut to form those designs?

Very nice, very interesting.
You describe the art on the flap as "buttstitching" does this mean it is created by bringing more than one piece of leather together, edges of them cut to form those designs?
Two edges can be butt stitched together and that is most commonly seen. This is the same stitch but instead of joining two different pieces you are sewing the same piece thus raising the leather in between the stitch from the surface. A raised butt stitch.

Two edges can be butt stitched together and that is most commonly seen. This is the same stitch but instead of joining two different pieces you are sewing the same piece thus raising the leather in between the stitch from the surface. A raised butt stitch.

And oh so carefully stained for contrast, as well.

Gus

Simply beautiful work. Thanks for posting those photos. With careful study, they could serve as a tutorial on how to achieve certain effects. Plus, they are just nice to look at.

Jeff

Thank you all. This one takes a bit of time to complete but I like the results. I wish I had one like this but the only bag I own is a simple one I made around 1990 : )

Back