• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burning patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George91946

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello:

I have subscribed and used the Dutch Schoultz method for black powder shooting. It's been a great step forward for me, but I am having a problem with burning patches. The oiled and then dried patches catch on fire after I shoot. In our area, that could be disaster. In order to keep the fire hazard down and keep from burning through the patch, I've had to re-dampen the cloth with moose milk prior to ramming the ball down the muzzle. I think that I'm losing accuracy doing this. I'm using 0.020 pillow ticking for a patch. Standard load of Goex powder. Any suggestions for an alternative to the dry oiled patch?

Thanks

Lisle George

Try soaking them in melted Crisco. Then put them on paper towel to cool and absorb the excess.

try a thicker patch or a larger ball. The only reason a patch should burn, is a loose fit in the barrel.

Another possible solution is to use an overpowder wad between the powder and patched ball. :idunno:

Burnt patches can be caused by too thin a patching allowing blowzy to toast the cloth.
I think, however, that you are discussing the oiled patching catching fire on it own.
What are you using for your oil. Is it Ballistol or something else.
30 Years ago water soluble pile was based on real oil. Since then some progress has been committed and there are a bunch of substitute liquids out there for cutting and grinding lathe work. These do not work well as a Dry patch lube because they don't perform at all well plus they tend to catch fire.
The first inkling I had that there were some changes in available cutting and grinding oils was a report of fire downrange.
I stress this fact repeatedly but people will still use anything that is water soluble and which may not be based on real oil.

Dutch

Have used Dutch's system since this Fall and never had a problem with patches catching fire...in my .54 cal I use a .530 ball with a .026 denim patch compressed measurement and also use ballistol in place of a cutting oil in my moose milk lube. Dutch ROCKS! :v

Last edited by a moderator:
Quickest fix is to push down a second patch on the powder before loading the patched ball. This other patch can be lubed with something greasier and is the old fix for big powder charges.

Hi,

Soak your patches for one night in a mixture of half water half ballistol. remove exces fluid and save them in a closed box.
Patches should feel damp and no fluid should drip out.
Ballistol and water turn in a milky fluid

this should work

succes

madmull

Mr. Schoultz:

I am using Dykem water soluble clinging machining oil. I optomized the water:eek:il ratio using your system, at 7 parts water to 1 part oil. Pre wet and then dry the patches as you recommended. Thinking about things, I began using NAPCO water soluble oil, but the store in our town discontinued that item, so I ordered a gallon of oil on line and had it delivered. I don't remember problems with the NAPCO oil. Any suggestions for other brands that might be less flammable? I want to do some pig hunting with the flinter, but won't try anything until I get the smouldering patches problem solved.

I shoot 0.50 CAL rifles, Rice Barrels, with 0.490 balls and 0.020 inch patches made from pillow ticking.
Thanks everyone for helping.
Lisle George

It is also interesting for us dry country shooters that several California rendezvous have prohibited oiled patches due to fire dangers. Most of those with the prohibitions are conducted in June and early July.

Lisle George

PPsssttt! Try thin leather. Little more work, but no smolder! Just saying!

Cynthialee said:
Sounds like a good idea for dry areas. Now where would a person get leather thin enough for a PRB?
Most any kind in chamois weight or a bit thicker will work fine. Though thicker, it compresses much more per actual thickness when lubed and loaded. My little secret is to wait till the car parts stores have a special on car wash chamois and go bananas in their pile! :wink: :haha:

Cynthialee said:
Sounds like a good idea for dry areas. Now where would a person get leather thin enough for a PRB?

Get a mouse trap, bait it with dog food. Use a really sharp knife to skin 'em.

Back