• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burl Spoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc.knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Size 125x39mm
Maple Burl boiled in brine and colored brew with tea, oiled with linseed oil

56.1.jpg

56.3.jpg

56.4.jpg

56.5.jpg

what does the boiling in brine do? nice work, burl can be hard to carve with all the crazy grain patterns
:thumbsup:

Very Nice :bow: :bow:
Beautiful wood and finish :hatsoff:
Excellently executed...now, if you can just remember not to bite the hand that feeds you :wink: :wink:
Shreck

thanks PC, would it be an imposition to ask exactly how ya did it?, like how long, heavy rolling boil or just a simmer. Never heard of boiling wood in brine before n it sounds interesting. thanks YMHS Birdman

Awesome spoon!...I want one like that! I love the hand...only one like it I have seen

Thank you all for your comments :bow:

Birdman said:
thanks PC, would it be an imposition to ask exactly how ya did it?, like how long, heavy rolling boil or just a simmer. Never heard of boiling wood in brine before n it sounds interesting. thanks YMHS Birdman

At two liters of water add two Handfuls of salt and cook for about 2 hours on low heat

Beautiful work.
I would like to have seen the raw piece that you started with.
What tools did you use?
Pete
PS - Nice bowl. Is that your work also?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You PC much apprecieated, I'll have to give it a try when the weather cools down come fall :thumbsup:

That wood is marvelous. I have some cherry burl that I am working on but it is much more problematic (holes through - old burl and insects).

Cherryburl.jpg

CherryKuksa.jpg

Not as fine as you are getting.
Pete

Back