• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullets/Conicals .40 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been playing with a 16" twist .401 bore (32" barrel) off and on for years.
My intents were to use it for deer hunts in Texas
KAa2NfV.jpg

but between business travel and then moving a thousand miles north to a .44 minimum bore state... didn't happen. The piece got side lined for a while. Now it's a plinker. And I'd like to see how light of a bullet can be accurate hot loading with this adjustable length mold.
Qx1xdN3.jpg

Meanwhile, these are the same mold set to ultra-light for the old Green Mountain 48" twist barrel, using the hollow base plug.
EaLlB04.jpg

Never have worked up a round ball squirrel and rabbit load for the 16" twist barrel.

Been playing with a 16" twist .401 bore (32" barrel) off and on for years.
My intents were to use it for deer hunts in Texas
KAa2NfV.jpg

but between business travel and then moving a thousand miles north to a .44 minimum bore state... didn't happen. The piece got side lined for a while. Now it's a plinker. And I'd like to see how light of a bullet can be accurate hot loading with this adjustable length mold.
Qx1xdN3.jpg

Meanwhile, these are the same mold set to ultra-light for the old Green Mountain 48" twist barrel, using the hollow base plug.
EaLlB04.jpg

Never have worked up a round ball squirrel and rabbit load for the 16" twist barrel.
I have a 1:24 twist 7/8" .400-.408 barrel on my Under-Hammer

Another way forwards...
If you bump into one of the Lyman (Ideal) core molds marked .44, the adjustable length flat ended base plug can be replaced with one to make a semi-wadcutter or other design of nose, and then paper patched for forty bores. The molds pop up on auctions occasionally. I figured a pure lead long heavy full wadcutter would make a booger of a deer load.

adjustable core mold.jpg

Back