• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet Lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been using pre-lubed round ball patches for a couple of years now but would like to try making my own. I have access to some pillow ticking but was wondering if anyone had any home grown recipes for a lube to soak them in? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dalton I cut my own patches for pillow tick I buy at the local Wal-Mart. My favorite liquid lube is;

Liquid Lube
16 oz. water (non-chlorinated)
8 oz. isopropyl alcohol, 91%
4 oz. witch hazel
3 oz. castor oil
1 oz. Murphy's Oil Soap

This is I think Stumpkiller's reciepe and it is a dandy. I used to make the same thing but used NAPA Water Soluable Cutting Oil instead of castors oil and I never added witch hazel. I have made this stuff and it really works good in my roundball rifles.

Stumpkiller's Moose Snot reciepe is another excellent one. I use that on the maxi balls and once in a while as a patch lube but I really like the liquid instead.

I just dunk a section of the patch strip material in the jar of moose milk until saturated, then ring it out back into the jar, then set the ball and trim. If you dunk enough and shoot fast enough you can escape the dunking for three or four balls... :thumbsup:

I then soak a couple strips and dry them on old window screen for hunting. I keep that in a plastic zip lock bag. I take a small spritzer bottle (eye glasses cleaner was in it) with me and just mist the oil dryed cloth before loading for hunting.

Good luck.

Yep. That's my moose milk recipe. Lately, I have been soaking strips of tic in it (twice - dry two days between dips, laying the strips out on a work table with newspapers covered with wax paper). This requires I run a saliva damp cleaning patch between shots, but the treated strips are very easy and non-messy to handle and carry. Life's a trade off.

I use a mix of 2 parts beeswax, 8 parts castor oil and 1 part Murphy's Oil Soap as a grease lube. This one lets me go multiple shots without wiping, but is not as accurate in some rifles (my Renegade likes it). I use this on R.E.A.L. conicals and shotgun wads, too. The trick is to whip it up with a spoon before pouring it into the smaller carry container to cool.

I haven't got tired yet of showing the target I shot last Sunday with the "dry" patch material.

.50 cal, 84 gr FFg, 50 yards offhand with iron sights.
Diamond.jpg

I'll be honest and say my normal results are 3X this size and I'm still happy with them. :winking:

That is some real impressive shooting there Stumpkiller without a doubt. Free hand is the true test of a shooter. I am more of a "need a rest" kind of shooter, but I have been working on it.. ::

That is some great shootin :thumbsup:

I'll give your recipe a shot. I've got everything but the castor oil.

Thanks Again.

For the best prices I've found for Caster Oil, check out a Wal-Mart in the drug area.

If you buy several bottles like I did, don't be suprised when the helpful Pharmacist does a "double take" and reminds you that this stuff is a very powerful laxitive. :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Just tell him/her that you have a fully charged load you want to move easily and you heard it keeps things from rusting when your done. :: :: ::

Zonie ... hard t o typ e ... laffing to muc h.
I hope I never get "bore rust" THERE ... :crackup:

I'll have to try this lubricant recipe. Sounds interesting. You say it's a liquid when finished? So is it also a good cleaner?
I don't shoot my muzzleloading .50 caliber rifle much anymore, not since I got into cap and ball revolvers. But I'm always looking for a good cleaner.
At the moment, I add a few drops of white vinegar to a small spray bottle, a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap, then top it off with tap water. Seems to do a good job, cleaning out the bore and wiping down the cylinder pin of my revolvers.
I carry a small spray bottle, about 3" high, in my shooting kit with this cleaner. Spraying a cleaning patch is far less wasteful than trying to pour liquid onto one. Also, I can spray down the cylinder pin a bit before wiping with a moistened rag.
I should think that such a small spray bottle would be a good way to carry cleaner in a possibles bag during hunting.
I bought my little spray bottle at Wal Mart, near the cosmetics section, where they have all those empty containers for travel.

Back