• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bulged My Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When I cleaned my 45 Cal Rifle last night I felt a bulge in the barrel about 6" in. I must have short started a ball and then shot the rifle. It is A CVA Jukar barrel from the old Kit made in the 1980"s. I did not see a loss of accuracy then but must assume it will not be as accurate. Questions? Should I leave it as is and just shoot it? Should I cut the end of the barrel off making it shorter? Maybe you have some suggestions.

You should use it as the excuse you tell your wife for the reason you NEED to buy a new rifle. :grin:

:hmm: I always kinda wondered how one of those would look cut down and made into a half-stock.
Kinda Vincent-y-ish...

:cursing: I'd keep using it, if it still is accurate. Maybe target and small game loads only. My Jukar barrel is very accurate--I presume yours is too. :v

here's one I cut down for my wife a few months ago
FIEitalianrifle-1-1.jpg

and It does have a Vincent feel to

Oh it's cut down to 28"

Nice job 1sgt. What kinda pull length did you end up with?
And that is indeed a neat looking change from the original "kentucky" 54mountain. What stock is that?

Ya know Dean, tuff call. If the buldge isn't visible from the outside it might not be that bad and still be shootable with target loads. (aka: anything but max loads)
(thought you sold that thing!)

Or cut'er all down and make it a youth model like 1sgt did. Be good practice. Those olde jukar barrels with the slow twist have been, can be and are, some darn accurate things in the proper hands,,

That is a dandy youth gun 1sgt. :thumbsup: Do I see a pistol barrel left over?

And I really like how the half stock 54mountain did turned out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But, remember ike, don't let on to the wife that it still shoots OK, and don't re-do it into a cool cut-down gun until AFTER you get the new rifle you NEED now 'cause that one got "ruined". :wink:

ike said:
When I cleaned my 45 Cal Rifle last night I felt a bulge in the barrel about 6" in. I must have short started a ball and then shot the rifle. It is A CVA Jukar barrel from the old Kit made in the 1980"s. I did not see a loss of accuracy then but must assume it will not be as accurate. Questions? Should I leave it as is and just shoot it? Should I cut the end of the barrel off making it shorter? Maybe you have some suggestions.

We will leave this to the gunsmith/metalurgists here to answer definitively.
But, my gut is saying DO NOT SHOOT. It is an inexpensive gun to begin with and now there is a weakened section in the barrel. I don't believe it is even a question. Cut down or destroy but do not shoot. IMHO.

What I would do (and have done) is take a 45 caliber brush and some lapping paste, work the area from the bulge back to the breach. Push the brush in and mark the cleaning rod after it passes through the bulge toward the breach; so you can slightly enlarge the bore from the bulge back. This will give you a gun with a choked rifling, and this is a way to salvage it and possibly make it more accurate. It will make loading slick as snot too, since after you pass the bulge there is less resistance. The jukar barrels are pretty hard steel, certainly harder than barrels of yore.

Or you can scrub the bore as above, then scrub on the muzzle side so there's no more bulge. Then up-size the patch. If you go that route make a bore slug so you have a "cutter" that automatically skips the bulged portion. It will take a couple slugs as the bore opens up.

While I have known people to shoot a bulged barrel for years with no problem, I would cut it shorter to be on the safe side. The bulge doesn't neccesarily make the gun unsafe, just the possibility that it would be. Elvaluate the cost/risk. Barrel faliure is a great potential for injury. :idunno:

Not trying to hijack but have a question for someone like Hays or someone else who has worked on these rifles......what size lock is on them,and where can i get one of similar size in flint.....son wants his converted...thanks for any help I can get!

Craftwelder;
Contact Deer Creek products for those specific questions, 765-525-6181 (no web site)
CVA/Traditions (spanish imports) had a few different locks and the different types swap out with different models.

Back