• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

building a work bench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A workbench should sprawl over the entire back wall of your garage or shop, maybe up one side wall, and have at least one peninsula bench. A man should have at least 5 projects going at once, and at least one he hasn’t touched in 3 years but is still taking up four feet of bench space.....
You're talkin' bout me now....... :D Unfortunately sans the workbench. I'm gettin' there though. :thumb:

If I were starting over w/ my present experience I'd have 2 work benches....one would be against a wall for utilizing a big, handy place to hang tools. The bench depth doesn't need to be deep because areas then couldn't be reached. This bench would be high enough so my back wouldn't complain. 2 bolted on vises, one near each would be be handy. Lighting would be supplied by at least 2 extension lamps.

The 2nd bench would mainly be used for stock work and would be a "walk around" type fastened to the floor....2 vises would be attached, one on each end, that had swivel bases. and in/out slides A right angled 2X4 frame could easily be attached to supply a rest for the fore ends of the LRs. This bench would have drawers to store various woodworking tools. Lighting for this bench would be pull down lamps hung from the ceiling.

The bench shown by the OP should be a walk around type otherwise because of its depth, a lot of area won't be used and will just collect junk. After being a tool and diemaker for a number of yrs, bench height is very important.....sore backs can really cut into protracted work hrs.....Fred

My current bench is much bigger, but I've found for me all i really need is a bench two feet deep and five feet long. I cand stand in the center of such a bench and reach everything easily, only bending slightly to reach the far corners.

I needed a workbench now and didn't have the time to make one from the ground up so earlier this week I bought one at Harbor Freight on sale for $120. Just finished putting it together today. It will work for the time being and I'll add to it as time goes by. As you can see in the background I'm still clearing out the garage and organizing a little bit at a time.

Workbench1.jpg

Workbench2.jpg

Workbench3.jpg

I added the blue vice.

Last edited:
I needed a workbench now and didn't have the money to make one so earlier this week I bought one at Harbor Freight on sale for $120. Just finished putting it together today. It will work for the time being and I'll add to it as time goes by. As you can see in the background I'm still clearing out the garage and organizing a little bit at a time.

I added the blue vice.
Never thought of putting the vice on upside down! Good idea

I have the same bench. It’s not too bad, but small. A tip- underneath the bench top, tack or screw a light sheet of cardboard, paneling, or something. It keeps dirt and shavings from falling down in the holes in the bench top and messing up the drawers. I also screwed it to the floor.

I have the same bench. It’s not too bad, but small. A tip- underneath the bench top, tack or screw a light sheet of cardboard, paneling, or something. It keeps dirt and shavings from falling down in the holes in the bench top and messing up the drawers. I also screwed it to the floor.
I've been debating just removing the drawers all together and using them elsewhere in the garage.
Plus it's not a bench to rave about but it's mostly solid and it works for now.

Last edited:
Good looking bench kje54 and I see it has good reviews; Harbor Freight's site doesn't list country of origin, any info with the bench?
At the price point for a hardwood bench I would have to assume the manufacturing origin is most likely overseas but I have no idea where. Then again it's made with finger jointed oak so it's also entirely possible it's a USA product even at that price point.

Decided I'm going to remove the top two drawers (plus hardware) and place a shelf over the bottom two drawers. That will keep sawdust and shavings out of the drawers plus I'll have enough room in the void for holdfast clamps, bench dogs, etc. that stick out below the bottom of the top. I also notice the bench shakes a little when force is applied lengthwise, that's an easy fix.

You will need to get a board and brace it from the back diagonally. That will stiffen it up. It’s made in Vietnam. It’s not a bad bench with some modifications.

You will need to get a board and brace it from the back diagonally. That will stiffen it up. It’s made in Vietnam. It’s not a bad bench with some modifications.
Yeah I'm figuring that out. I have the wood, I may just make an apron for the back, that will definitely stiffen it up.

I forgot to mention how I built my work bench; I can work with abstract forms but nailing two boards together square mystifies me, I knew I couldn't make functionable drawers with only a bandsaw to cut the wood. I went to Lowe's and bought two matching cabinet units with drawers, they came as parts in a box that need to be assembled.

I assembled the cabinets and built my workbench frame to house them perfectly. I made my bench top out of 2X10s and my legs out of two 2X4s glued and screwed together, this bench weighs a ton and won't move if I am doing some heavy drawknifing on osage bow staves. I added some shelves on the ends and later had a woodworking friend make me some more drawers to fit above the shelves.

I also built my work bench 42" tall so I don't have to bend over to work on bows or guns.

The picture is of my Nephew working on a bow, no bending over, he is 6' 3".

wes at work.JPG

The next picture is my first attempt at a workbench from 30 years ago, I probably made 50 bows on this bench and worked in a 5'X7" corner of the garage by the water heater before I moved to the country and built a shop. I would have been ashamed to put this testament to my poor woodworking skills in a new shop.

I put this old work bench up on Craigslist for free just to have someone haul it off, it was gone within an hour of my posting it and the guy who got it loves it, he uses it for reloading.

It had been sitting in the basement for 15 years gathering dust and anything else that needed a resting place when I took this picture.

first work bench.jpg

Last edited:
Also add a diagonal 3/4 x 4 x 36 (approximate length) pine board on the side that your vise is on. Cuts down on the "wiggles" you will have as you are filing or working the wood.

I've been debating just removing the drawers all together and using them elsewhere in the garage.
Plus it's not a bench to rave about but it's mostly solid and it works for now.
One can't have enough drawers. You could make a hinged lid for the tops of those drawers

Latest posts

Back