• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adbranaman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Traditions 50 cal. flintlock rifle and I'd like to build a Ky.kit pistol to go with it.I know they have a kit ,but it's pretty near put together already.I done a CVA rifle once and I'd like to try a little bit harder project.I have limited funds ,so I'd like to know where I can get the best kit for a cheap price.I figure I can buy it as I go.I also need a tape(CD) and/or plans .Any ideas?

Not knowing how limited your funds are, this idea may be beyond them.

Pecatonica River offers a Kentucky style pistol "kit" in Flintlock or Precussion.
It has a 15/16ths octagon which should be available in .50 caliber.

Sorry, but my price list is several years old. At the time it was published the cost for one of these kits was given as $246 in Flint or $227.50 in Precussion. This did not include the cost of the wood. Their pistol size wood was listed at 28.50 for straight Maple, $45 for Premium Curly Maple, $33 for Cherry or Walnut.
That would make a precussion pistol in walnut cost about $260.50
As I say, the prices may be a little higher now, but it's food for thought.

Further thought is that Dick (owner of Pecatonica River Supply) offers his carved wood with just the barrel and ramrod grooves cut.
He offered the wood at the above price and at that time he charged $25 for the carving and barrel inletting.
This opens up several other possibilities.
His catalog says he offers the Kentucky style, Dueling style (that looks just like the Kentucky in his catalog), a Trapper style that is a full stock with a round (bag) end butt and a Hawken style which is a Half stock round end butt gun.
The Trapper and Hawken are set up for 15/16 barrels so either of them can be purchased in .50 caliber.

If you were really pinched for funds, you could order just the stock, cut for the barrel, in Walnut or Cherry for $25+$33=$58.
TOTW offers 15/16 pistol barrels in .36 thru .54 caliber for about $40 and a small John Bailes (Small Manton) Precussion lock for $70.
Of course there would be the cost of the breech plug, trigger, trigger guard, precussion drum etc but you could buy them as you go.

For comparative purposes, the Dueling pistol I'm making has cost about: $40 for the barrel/breech plug, $70 for the small Siler's lock, $18 for the trigger, $10 for the sights, $10 for the German Silver Trigger guard, $22 for the curly maple block of wood.
Track also offers the same style of pistol stocks.

Food for thought. :)

I my self am looking the same route, and found that , after looking at the log cabine shop has stocks pre carved and inleted for 40.00 in 13/16, 7/8 ,and 13/16 barrels can also begotten from them the lock will be the other expensive option around 100.00 I forget what they offer for locks , tow also has them on line in kit form you have to inlet the trigger they are about 300.00 + but normally god quality they offer them in cap lock or flint. hope this helps , I don't know what I want to build just yet. bb75

It just occured to me that the possible shop, has kits and dixie gun works also sells kit from navy arms, and pedersoli for under 300.00 have a look there too .bb75

Back